Restoring Selected File(s) from Compressed Archive

jscooper22

Restoring Selected File(s) from Compressed Archive

Postby jscooper22 » April 4th, 2018, 3:51 pm

Hi,

If I need to restore from a compressed archive, does it still unpack the entire .tgz file to get the file(s) I want, or does it somehow know how to extract what I need without waiting for the whole archive to expand?

Thanks,

Jeff
Igor Lizunov

Re: Restoring Selected File(s) from Compressed Archive

Postby Igor Lizunov » April 5th, 2018, 4:58 am

jscooper22 wrote:Hi,

If I need to restore from a compressed archive, does it still unpack the entire .tgz file to get the file(s) I want, or does it somehow know how to extract what I need without waiting for the whole archive to expand?

Thanks,

Jeff

To restore files:

1. In the main window, select a backup project you want to restore.
2.Then click the Restore button. The Restore dialog will open.
By default, the program selects the most recent backup in the pop-up menu. If you need an earlier version of some file, select the corresponding backup from the list using the creation date.
3. Select files you want to restore. To select multiple files, use the Cmd or Shift keys. To restore all files, you don't have to select them.
4. Choose whether to restore to the original or to a custom folder.
5. Click the Restore All button to restore all files or click Restore Selected to restore only selected files.
If the backup was encrypted, be ready to input the password.

Note that when you restore files to the original location, the program will replace files on your disk with files from the backup. If you want to keep both versions of your files, restore files to another folder.

If your backup project is not listed in the program, you should open it in the program using the Process > Open… command.
jscooper22

Re: Restoring Selected File(s) from Compressed Archive

Postby jscooper22 » April 5th, 2018, 7:37 am

Thanks Igor. But I'm wondering how long it would take. For example, if I have a large archive and I only need a single file from it, and I choose that file, does the app uncompress the entire archive to a temp location somewhere just to put the restored file back, the delete the uncompressed archive? Or does it somehow dig through the tgz file and extract just what it needs?

I'm asking because after creating a rather large archive I wanted to test it, so I tried to restore a couple files and it seemed to take forever (after an hour I gave up). This leads me to believe that it decompresses the entire archive no matter how many or few files are actually requested, which may make me rethink my backup strategy. But I want to verify this is the case first.

Thanks,

Jeff

Return to “Get Backup”