Canon MX922 - Direct disc printing

Laguna Hiker

Canon MX922 - Direct disc printing

Postby Laguna Hiker » April 19th, 2015, 12:08 am

I'm evaluating Disc Cover 3 with a Canon MX 922 printer, which uses a Canon 'Type J' disc tray. I printed discs for a couple of years in Windows before switching to the Mac, so I'm pretty familiar with disc printing. However, I can't get Disc Cover 3 to print directly to the disc.

Disc Cover 3's printing instructions ("From the Layout drop-down select Quality & Media and set Media Type to Printable Disc") don't match the Canon MX 922 print driver options--I suspect these instructions were written for a different print driver. I have attached screen shots of the MX922 print dialog.

Here's my problem: I can't find an option to set the output to the disc tray. Even on Auto-Select, the printer outputs to a paper tray. And if I insert the disc tray before I begin the print operation, I get an error that the cover is open--I know the printer wants you to send it the print job and wait until prompted before opening the cover and inserting the disc tray. When I remove the tray and clear the error, the printer outputs to paper.

How do I set the media to 'Disk Tray', so that the printer will output to the disc tray? Thanks in advance for your help.
Attachments
PD Screenshots.zip
Screenshots of Canon MX922 print dialog
(218.47 KiB) Downloaded 203 times
Laguna Hiker

Re: Canon MX922 - Direct disc printing

Postby Laguna Hiker » April 19th, 2015, 11:42 am

I can answer my own question. The problem lies with Canon (I think), not Disc Cover 3.

Canon's OS X print driver is pretty awful. There are actually two drivers, one that uses AirPrint (based on Apple's Bonjour service), and another, more conventional OS X driver. On my Macs, only the AirPrint driver appears in System Preferences > Printers & Scanners by default, and it doesn't recognize disc printing.

To get to the second driver, I had to add it to the list of printers in Printers & Scanners, even though it had been installed with the AirPrint driver. Clicking the '+' sign at the bottom of the list opens the 'Add' page. Initially, only one driver will appear on that page, 'Canon MX920 series', and its 'Kind' will be listed as 'Bonjour'. That's the AirPrint driver. But if you wait ten seconds or so, a second driver will appear with the exact same name, but its 'Kind' will be listed as 'Canon IJ Network’. That’s the more conventional OS X driver, and it's the only one that recognizes direct-to-disc printing. Select it and click the ‘Add’ button to add the driver to the list of printers.

Unfortunately, the AirPrint driver is the only one that will let you specify which paper tray to feed from, so I didn't delete it from my Macs. Instead, I renamed both drivers in the main Printers & Scanners page, by right-clicking each one and selecting ‘Rename printer’.

On the main Printers & Scanners page, look carefully at the lines below the printer pictogram. As you select each of the drivers, the ‘Kind’ field shows the kind of driver, 'AirPrint' or 'IJ Network'. I simply added one of those to each driver name to help distinguish the two.

Now, back to the Disc Cover 3 print dialog. It has three pages, the first two of which are provided by Disc Cover 3. The first page of the print dialog looks like the place where you specify direct-to-disc printing, with three drop-downs labelled ‘Output’, with a ‘Direct to CD/DVD’ option, ’Tray Type’ with a ‘Canon Tray Type J (CD Tray)’ option; and ‘Printer’, which should default to the IJ Network driver. Unfortunately, setting these options seemed to have no effect whatsoever.

Click the ’Next’ button on the first page of the print driver, and an instructions page will appear in a separate window. Dismiss the instructions window if it appears, and the second page of the print dialog—which is the actual OS X print dialog—will pop up.

At first glance, there’s very little on the page. But click the ’Show Details’ button at the bottom of the page, and a number of additional options appear. About halfway down the expanded page, click the ‘Layout’ drop-down and select ‘Quality & Media’.

The options below the drop-down will change. The first option is a drop-down labelled ‘Media Type’. In this drop-down, select ‘Other Papers’ > ‘Printable disc (recommended)’. The second drop-down, ‘Paper source’, should change to ‘Disc tray’. Now you are ready to print, but don't insert the disc printing tray into the printer yet. There is no need to calibrate the printer; it manages its own calibration when printing to disc.

Instead, click the ‘Print’ button and wait. A window will pop up on your Mac, telling you not to insert the disc tray (which is clipped to the underside of the top paper tray) until a notification on the printer's front panel asks you to do so.

The MX922 documentation will guide you through the rest of the procedure. Basically, when the printer prompts you to do so, open an inner door on the printer and carefully slide the tray into a slot behind the inner door, lining up a white triangular arrow on the tray with a corresponding arrow on the opened door. Then, hit the ‘OK’ button on the printer, and it will take over and complete the print job. There are videos on YouTube showing this procedure.

I hope this helps! If I have gotten any details wrong, please correct them in responses below.
Last edited by Laguna Hiker on May 2nd, 2015, 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hhasif

Postby hhasif » May 2nd, 2015, 11:05 am

You saved the day "Laguna Hiker". Followed your step and i was able to get my first print. I was about to return the printer.
Springbok

Postby Springbok » August 13th, 2015, 4:04 pm

Hi Laguna Hiker. Thanks a bunch for your detailed explanation of how to print from Disc Cover 3 to my MX 922. I was about to take the printer back and get an Epson Artizan. You saved the day :)

Springbok
pramod7770

Postby pramod7770 » December 2nd, 2017, 7:07 am

Laguna Hiker wrote:I can answer my own question. The problem lies with Canon (I think), not Disc Cover 3.

Canon's OS X print driver is pretty awful. There are actually two drivers, one that uses AirPrint (based on Apple's Bonjour service), and another, more conventional OS X driver. On my Macs, only the AirPrint driver appears in System Preferences > Printers & Scanners by default, and it doesn't recognize disc printing.

To get to the second driver, I had to add it to the list of printers in Printers & Scanners, even though it had been installed with the AirPrint driver. Clicking the '+' sign at the bottom of the list opens the 'Add' page. Initially, only one driver will appear on that page, 'canon mx922 driver', and its 'Kind' will be listed as 'Bonjour'. That's the AirPrint driver. But if you wait ten seconds or so, a second driver will appear with the exact same name, but its 'Kind' will be listed as 'Canon IJ Network’. That’s the more conventional OS X driver, and it's the only one that recognizes direct-to-disc printing. Select it and click the ‘Add’ button to add the driver to the list of printers.

Unfortunately, the AirPrint driver is the only one that will let you specify which paper tray to feed from, so I didn't delete it from my Macs. Instead, I renamed both drivers in the main Printers & Scanners page, by right-clicking each one and selecting ‘Rename printer’.

On the main Printers & Scanners page, look carefully at the lines below the printer pictogram. As you select each of the drivers, the ‘Kind’ field shows the kind of driver, 'AirPrint' or 'IJ Network'. I simply added one of those to each driver name to help distinguish the two.

Now, back to the Disc Cover 3 print dialog. It has three pages, the first two of which are provided by Disc Cover 3. The first page of the print dialog looks like the place where you specify direct-to-disc printing, with three drop-downs labelled ‘Output’, with a ‘Direct to CD/DVD’ option, ’Tray Type’ with a ‘Canon Tray Type J (CD Tray)’ option; and ‘Printer’, which should default to the IJ Network driver. Unfortunately, setting these options seemed to have no effect whatsoever.

Click the ’Next’ button on the first page of the print driver, and an instructions page will appear in a separate window. Dismiss the instructions window if it appears, and the second page of the print dialog—which is the actual OS X print dialog—will pop up.

At first glance, there’s very little on the page. But click the ’Show Details’ button at the bottom of the page, and a number of additional options appear. About halfway down the expanded page, click the ‘Layout’ drop-down and select ‘Quality & Media’.

The options below the drop-down will change. The first option is a drop-down labelled ‘Media Type’. In this drop-down, select ‘Other Papers’ > ‘Printable disc (recommended)’. The second drop-down, ‘Paper source’, should change to ‘Disc tray’. Now you are ready to print, but don't insert the disc printing tray into the printer yet. There is no need to calibrate the printer; it manages its own calibration when printing to disc.

Instead, click the ‘Print’ button and wait. A window will pop up on your Mac, telling you not to insert the disc tray (which is clipped to the underside of the top paper tray) until a notification on the printer's front panel asks you to do so.

The MX922 documentation will guide you through the rest of the procedure. Basically, when the printer prompts you to do so, open an inner door on the printer and carefully slide the tray into a slot behind the inner door, lining up a white triangular arrow on the tray with a corresponding arrow on the opened door. Then, hit the ‘OK’ button on the printer, and it will take over and complete the print job. There are videos on YouTube showing this procedure.

I hope this helps! If I have gotten any details wrong, please correct them in responses below.

above information is accurate and helpful for others i followed your steps and now it works
thank you
januarsam77

Postby januarsam77 » April 12th, 2018, 9:53 pm

Thanks a bunch for your detailed explanation of how to print from Disc Cover 3 to Canon MX922 printer. I was about to take the printer back and get an Epson Artizan.

Return to “Disc Cover”