PDF error

Paul

Postby Paul » July 16th, 2012, 9:26 am

On 10.5.8 G5, and trying to sort out a hiccup, I go to print and save as pdf, single or double sided does not matter.

I then create the same bcard in indesign ver2 and save as a pdf.

When I open the documents on windows XP in ver 9 Acrobat pro and there is a big difference in col.

Both are using same print driver!
Nick

Postby Nick » July 16th, 2012, 10:04 am

Hi Paul,

Probable causes:
1. Different color profiles are assigned to the images.
2. The documents in Business Card Composer and InDesign have not exactly the same colors.

Did you compare the PDFs on your Mac?

The colors of what objects don't match (text, imported images, or clipart images)?

If you wish, send your PDFs and original documents to support@belightsoft.com with the link to this topic. I'll examine them.

Nick
Nick

Postby Nick » July 17th, 2012, 6:18 am

Hi Paul,

Thanks for sending me your files. They are in very different formats what can result in different color. "floralbcard saveas.pdf" is PDF version 1.4 with Generic RGB color profile. "BC jan5 V1front.pdf" is in the PDF/X-1a format with CMYK colors. CMYKs almost always look darker than RGB images.

As a rule, a CMYK image better reproduces the colors in the printed image.

Nick
Paul

Postby Paul » July 17th, 2012, 6:40 am

I can now see where the error is occuring,
As the original floral card was designed and then saved as a pdf in indesign2, in this process we can alter/choose the pdf profiles. however when the indesign2 pdf floral card is placed in composer then go to print and save as pdf, we cannot alter or choose the pdf profiles, the question is how do I alter/choose pdf profile in composer
Nick

Postby Nick » July 17th, 2012, 9:00 am

Business Card Composer doesn't let you change the profile of the image. If you don't modify the image added to the document, it retains its original profile.

When you choose the fill color for a shape or text color, you can select a profile in the standard Colors pane. Here, you need to open the Color Sliders tab (the second) and click on the colored square below the magnification glass icon.

Nick
Paul

Postby Paul » July 17th, 2012, 10:19 am

To anyone else reading this please bear in mind that we are using
indesign2 on Mac G5 and acrobat pro 9 on Windows XP

After playing, tinkering and the odd swear word, I believe that the problem is sorted like this "save as ps" when the job is opened on Windows, the pro 9 shows no distortion of colour.

I would make the assumption that the pro 9 "gives the ps file the profiles when opening"

And without Nicks helps I would still be throwing the mouse at the wall.....

Return to “Business Card Composer”