Brother MFC-J835DW and direct to print

riverfrontmedia

Postby riverfrontmedia » March 24th, 2012, 11:37 pm

I am trying to use my new brother to print direct to disk. The printer is not listed. Where can I find the "x" and "y" settings for the cd tray? Is their a compatible canon tray setting??
riverfrontmedia

Postby riverfrontmedia » March 25th, 2012, 12:07 am

Also what would it take to add support for this printer? It doesn't even show up in the printers list. Yes it works with every other app on the mac.
Nick

Postby Nick » March 25th, 2012, 3:01 am

Hi riverfrontmedia,

To use a printer, it should be present in the list of printers in the system print dialog. Can you find it there?

Also, to print on a disc, you need to choose an appropriate disc tray. Since Brother MFC-J835DW isn't supported, you can try to print with trays of other printers selected. I'd choose first the Primera or Dymo tray (12x12 cm). Then Canon and Epson depending on how your disc tray is located according to the paper tray (centered or with offset).

For test prints, use the calibration dialog or a test design with small portion of text or a small image to save inks and to be able reuse the same disc for calibration or more test prints.

Nick
riverfrontmedia

Postby riverfrontmedia » March 25th, 2012, 9:22 pm

The printer is absolutely showing up in printers / scan in system preferences. It however doesn't show the optional cd tray in disk cover 3. I guess I could create it though
Nick

Postby Nick » March 26th, 2012, 3:58 am

Hi

1. Did you mean that the CD tray option isn't present in the system Print dialog? Please send me a screen shot of this option activated in another program. You can post pictures at the forum or send to support@belightsoft.com (please mention the forum discussion in this case). To take a screen shot, show the Print dialog on the screen and press Cmd-Shift-4. Select the area on the screen where the dialog is located. Screen shots are saved to your Desktop.

2. It can be helpful to know what paper format if used in other programs that are able to print on discs. To find this out, create a new design where the hole disc is covered by one solid color. Begin the printing procedure. When the system Print dialog opens don't print but choose PDF > Save as PDF. Email this PDF to me.

3. Try to set the paper format in Disc Cover manually. When the Print dialog is open, click on the Tray Type menu and choose "Page Setup...". In "Format For" choose the Brother printer. Then in "Paper Size" see if there are any CD/DVD option. If it is there, choose one (let me know what you have selected and if there were alternatives). Click OK and try to print on a disc.

Nick

Return to “Disc Cover”