Creating Lined Paper

lolly

Postby lolly » March 14th, 2012, 12:20 pm

I'm a teacher, and I'd like to make worksheets or notebooking pages for my students similar to these:
http://www.cyncesplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/CA_PorcupineNB2.jpg
http://www.cyncesplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/CA_DBooneNB.jpg
http://notebookingfairy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/president-notebooking-pages-thumbnail.jpg

Ideally, the notebooking pages have boxes with lines (for student writing) as well as empty frames for students to draw maps, illustrations or diagrams. Sometimes I might want to use some word art such as "The Alamo" when studying a particular historical event, or I might want to paste in some simple clip art maps or images. I would love to make different worksheets/notebooking pages for a variety of topics across the curriculum. I think it could be SO creative for my students.

I just bought Swift Publisher 3. My first problem is how to make good lined boxes. Is there a way to make writing lines which are even and equidistant like lined paper? So far I've tried opening a text box and using underline to fill the box. I did a lot of trial and error to fit the lines to boxes, then print to see if they were "wide rule" or "college rule". So this doesn't seem to be the best method. Also, I tried to put horizontal guides down the page and then draw individual lines using the line tool, but the lines weren't very even, and I had a hard time moving the lines around.

Any ideas for an easier method? Also, any ideas for a way to save a lined box (once I get it right! LOL) so that I can make new themed notebooking pages for my students but use the same lines so I don't have to do the work anew each time? Thanks in advance.
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » March 14th, 2012, 5:19 pm

Hi lolly
Some ideas:
#1. First of all, create a text box and populate this box with the right number lines of text:
(here a box with 11 lines of text)
It"s important to set the right value for the space between lines and space before/after paragraphs.

#2. Then draw one line and move it to the right place (below the first line)

#3. Now draw the other lines (the easier way is certainly to duplicate the first one).
Don't try to move them by hand, just create them:

#4. Select all the lines then align them to the left (the leftmost line (the first one) wil be the reference):

#5. Move the last line to the right place (below the last line of text):

#6. Now… the magic! ;^)
Select all lines then use the rightmost Distribute function:

(use the last Distribute button)

#7. Now, you can group all the lines to make them easier to edit (color, type of line…)

A last note, it's easier that it seems.
Hope that helps.
JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 3.06GHz
http://belightcommunity.free.fr/BeLight Community website
Nick

Postby Nick » March 15th, 2012, 8:49 am

Hi

On my opinion, using a single text box is easier. Fill it with the horizontal ellipsis symbol … (press the Opt and semicolon keys together). Varying the font size set the size of dots. Then adjust the spacing between lines with help of the Text tab of the Inspector. The resulting text box will be your template. Copy it to your worksheets. While adjusting the text box size, the distance between line will remain constant. If necessary, you can type the task right inside the text box.

Setting up the spacing between lines.
Let's say you need wide rule with 0.35 in between lines. Add two horizontal guides with 3.5 in between them. Place the text box with ellipsis so that the first line of ellipsis is aligned to the upper guide. Change the "Between Lines" parameter in the Inspector to make the 11th line align the lower guide.

Nick
Nick

Postby Nick » March 15th, 2012, 10:06 am

One more way is to use a table which has visible only horizontal separating lines. You can make them dashed or dotted as well.

Nick
lolly

Postby lolly » March 16th, 2012, 10:39 am

Thank you both for such thorough suggestions! I will give them all a try this weekend. Thanks again - I greatly appreciate the time and effort!
regnw22

Re: Creating Lined Paper

Postby regnw22 » March 22nd, 2018, 5:26 am

i use ruledpaper.net

Return to “Swift Publisher”