Meet Swift Publisher 4

Nick

Meet Swift Publisher 4

Postby Nick » August 25th, 2015, 9:02 am

Meet totally refreshed and mature version of BeLight best selling page layout and desktop publishing app. Among various improvements and additions, Swift Publisher 4 brings El Capitan style interface, extended graphics and new design tools.

What's New in Swift Publisher 4:
http://www.belightsoft.com/products/swiftpublisher/index.php#whatsnew

Download version 4:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/belightsoft/SwiftPublisher.dmg

All owners of Swift Publisher previous versions are offered to buy an upgrade for just $14.95. Those who purchased Swift Publisher 3 after July 16th, 2015 are offered a FREE upgrade to version 4.
http://belightsoft.com/store/swiftpublisher.php#upgrade
axys

Re: Meet Swift Publisher 4

Postby axys » August 25th, 2015, 1:12 pm

My first drive of this is very disappointing - its barely a point upgrade let alone a new version. Just about all of the requests made over the last 3.5 years have been disregarded. Even the source panel opening each time regardless of the saved state is unfixed. Lines still extremely limited. No preference for landscape/portrait default. Pointless repeating them all. Sorry guys, I'm the biggest fan of SP and use it every day, but this looks a lot like treading water. I'll try it for a few days and report back.
SP user for 11 years --- v2, 3, 4, 5.0.6 --- Mac OS 10.11.6 --- iMac Retina 5k 27" late 2015
axys

Postby axys » August 26th, 2015, 4:49 am

How do you access the templates? The command appears to be missing from the File menu - mine just shows New. If I go to help, type in template, it will show 'New from Template Gallery' so it should be there but isn't.

The two drop down menus for text and shapes have a noticeable lag before they drop down.

The text on a circle is very crude - there is no way that I can see, other than by eye, of actually aligning the text to the circle.

On a good point, I'm pleased to see guides now insert (more or less) on right click rather than defaulting to the centre. That said, an option for centres would still be useful.
SP user for 11 years --- v2, 3, 4, 5.0.6 --- Mac OS 10.11.6 --- iMac Retina 5k 27" late 2015
Bver

Postby Bver » August 26th, 2015, 4:14 pm

I found that you can set to start up with Templates in PREFERENCES.

What I haven't figured out is how to import my created templates from Swift Publisher 3 to 4. Anyone figure this out?

Bryan

[quote="axys"]How do you access the templates? The command appears to be missing from the File menu - mine just shows New. If I go to help, type in template, it will show 'New from Template Gallery' so it should be there but isn't.
axys

Postby axys » August 27th, 2015, 4:00 am

Yes, I'd figured that, but I don't always want to start with Templates - occasionally I might want open a Template, whilst in SP, which I should be able to do from File, as in SP2 and SP3. It’s a fault.
lindas

Postby lindas » August 27th, 2015, 9:24 pm

[On my Mac] My Templates is stored here: "my hard drive name"/Users/"My User Name"/Library/Application Support/Swift Publisher 3/My Templates

I just copied the files in that Folder and pasted them here into this Folder:
"my hard drive name"/Users/"My User Name"/Library/Application Support/Swift Publisher 4/My Templates

(Just replace my hard drive name with whatever your hard drive is called - usually it's something like "MacIntosh...." And replace my user name with whatever your user name is -- DO Not use any quotes.)

So far, the Preview of some of the templates one or more of the pages "looks" blank, but when I Choose that Template, it opens fine and looks like it's suppose to.

Hope that helps. Give it a try.

Bver wrote:I found that you can set to start up with Templates in PREFERENCES.

What I haven't figured out is how to import my created templates from Swift Publisher 3 to 4. Anyone figure this out?

Bryan

axys wrote:How do you access the templates? The command appears to be missing from the File menu - mine just shows New. If I go to help, type in template, it will show 'New from Template Gallery' so it should be there but isn't.
Magicdesign

Postby Magicdesign » August 28th, 2015, 12:47 am

So does it now give the option to export a cmyk PDF (and actually convert rgb images and colours during the export process?)
axys

Postby axys » August 28th, 2015, 6:40 am

No, it doesn't. It has added PNG export and you can export a TIFF in RGB or CMYK as before.
Magicdesign

Postby Magicdesign » August 29th, 2015, 12:18 am

I need real cmyk export in PDF to make it a consideration. Maybe version 5.....
fonetico

Postby fonetico » August 29th, 2015, 9:52 am

Installed it on my iMac v 10.10.5 and works fine.
However, on my MacBook Pro v10.9.5, nothing. It refuses to open. Tried downloading it and installing it several times but still nothing. When I try to open it, it says "verifying application" then nothing.
MJBS

Postby MJBS » August 29th, 2015, 10:00 am

axys wrote:My first drive of this is very disappointing - its barely a point upgrade let alone a new version. Just about all of the requests made over the last 3.5 years have been disregarded. Even the source panel opening each time regardless of the saved state is unfixed. Lines still extremely limited. No preference for landscape/portrait default. Pointless repeating them all. Sorry guys, I'm the biggest fan of SP and use it every day, but this looks a lot like treading water. I'll try it for a few days and report back.

I was disappointed to read this. Any chance SP4 now does a double-page spread, which I need for my monthly magazine?
axys

Postby axys » August 29th, 2015, 3:41 pm

No chance, sadly. Another often requested item.

Edit - in the manual it says "Swift Publisher can create two-fold booklets. Two pages of your document will be printed on one side of a paper sheet. The paper size is two times as large as the page size." This is a klutzy work around and one I've been using for years. It needs a bit of manipulation in Documents and Print.
Last edited by axys on August 30th, 2015, 9:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
lindas

Postby lindas » August 29th, 2015, 4:29 pm

I had this issue, too, on my Macs - running Mavericks 10.9.5.
I was able to get the app running by opening System Preferences, Security & Privacy, and MAKE SURE that Anywhere is checked under "Allow apps downloaded from:"

You can reset it back to whatever you had AFTER you run the program and it starts for you.

Also note if you are running Mavericks 10.9.5 you might have another issue I have (I only have Mav ver 10.9.5. no Yosemite)
You can read about this issue in the Swift Publisher forum, post titled:: Using the iPhoto,Aperture,Other Folder (clipart) Icon CRASH
Last word was they are aware of the issue/bug and are working on it.

Also, if you have this same issue only on your Mavericks and not your Yosemite machine, you might want to post that, or send them a support email using the SUPPORT link at the top of all BeLight web pages.

Thanks!

fonetico wrote:Installed it on my iMac v 10.10.5 and works fine.
However, on my MacBook Pro v10.9.5, nothing. It refuses to open. Tried downloading it and installing it several times but still nothing. When I try to open it, it says "verifying application" then nothing.
fonetico

Postby fonetico » August 29th, 2015, 6:23 pm

Thanks "lindas". You've fixed it for me.
lindas

Postby lindas » August 29th, 2015, 6:33 pm

You're welcome! Glad that worked!

Return to “Swift Publisher”