Printing to Tape Labeler (e.g. LabelWriter Duo)

asterion

Postby asterion » March 27th, 2007, 10:30 am

Please could you tell me how to print to Tape Labels using Mail Factory?

I have a Dymo LabelWriter Duo which, as the name suggests, incorporates two label printers. One can produce 'paper' self-adhesive labels (mailing labels, etc.) and the other uses rolls of plastic tape labels. These can be between 16 and 24 mm wide/high, and are automatically cut to length when printed and used for filing labels, etc.

Unfortunately, I cannot find how to use Mail Factory to print on these Tape Labels, nor am I able to successfully create bespoke labels to suit (as is mentioned somewhere else on this forum, Mail Factory currently only allows custom labels to be created on A4 paper).

This means that in using Mail Factory, half my Dymo LabelWriter Duo is redundant! Which is a little annoying.

Perhaps the software developer would be kind enough to indicate when support for Tape Labelers (like that incorporated into my LabelWriter Duo) will be supported by Mail Factory?

Yours in anticipation,

A.
Nick

Postby Nick » March 28th, 2007, 8:39 am

Hi,
Mail Factory supports only roll labels with specified length. Probably, we will support printing on "unlimited-width" labels in the future.
As a solution, try to find a pre-defined label with size close to what you need in the paper layout list.

Nick
asterion

Postby asterion » August 22nd, 2008, 11:19 am

Hi,

It's a year on... Has there been any progress on this?
In regards to your suggestion, using the "pre-defined label" idea does not work, as the tape labeler appears to operate in a different page orientation that the pre-defined labels (i.e. the printer attempts to print landscape on a portrait label. Adjusting the Page Setup options does not resolve the issue.

I would really welcome a simple facility to print to tape labels, as this is what we use for filing here.

I must say, I now really regret purchasing the Dymo LabelWriter Duo product without first checking whether it is actually possible to use the device. There does not appear to be any decent tape labeler software for the Mac on the market.

I'm still waiting with crossed fingers that you'll pull something off with Mail Factory.

A.
Nick

Postby Nick » August 26th, 2008, 3:51 am

Hi,

Developers are going to work on this issue. It's undefined yet if the feature appears in the program, and if yes, when this can happen.

Nick
asterion

Postby asterion » May 25th, 2010, 7:19 pm

Hello again,

Is it really three years already..?

I've just downloaded your replacement for Mail Factory, Labels & Addresses, and am wondering... Did your developers ever get this finished?

You suggested in your August 2008 post that they were starting work on this feature. How did it go? Can I print to D1 tape labels on my Dymo Labelwriter Duo now? And if so, how? As it doesn't seem to be an option I can find easily...

I am praying that you have addressed this feature gap by now. Please say you have! Otherwise my sack of sh*t Dymo will be getting the Viking funeral it has long deserved!

A. :)
Nick

Postby Nick » May 26th, 2010, 5:21 am

Hi,

Labels & Addresses can print on continuous paper. You can download the program and try it in the demo mode.

Nick
asterion

Postby asterion » May 26th, 2010, 6:11 am

Hi Nick,

I have downloaded the demo of Labels & Addresses, but am having exactly the same issues I had with Mail Factory three years ago.

Please could you tell me how I set up to print on Dymo 24mm (1") tape labels? I don't really care about the length of the label at the moment, I just want to see if it actually will print anything. I spent a couple of hours yesterday trying to set the thing up, but could not see how to do it.

Please provide me with step by step instructions, as I'm not finding the document setup/label setup/page setup process massively intuitive.

Thanks in anticipation,

A.
Nick

Postby Nick » May 27th, 2010, 3:22 am

Hi,

We didn't tested Labels & Addresses with Dymo Labelwriter Duo, and I don't know that it will work. But Dymo Twin Turbo that also has two label rolls lets to choose one or another roll in the print dialog. Try to find the Paper Source or identical option.

Nick
asterion

Postby asterion » July 2nd, 2013, 12:43 pm

I can't quite believe that I first asked this question in March 2007 — now over six years ago!
Anyway, thanks for the screenshot, but it did not help. There seems to be an issue between your software's perception of page orientation and the Dymo label printer's perception of page orientation. Result: blank labels. Six years on and I still haven't managed to get it to work!

Needless to say, my Dymo Duo labeller has proved to be 50% overpriced and a waste of desk space, as I have never managed to get a tape label to print satisfactorily. Seems those Labels & Addresses / Mail Factory software engineers never did get around to building in tape label compatibility — 'buyer beware', I guess.

One day a decent, all round labelling app will be produced for the Mac. Until then, I continue to use Apple Pages, a craft knife and Pritt Stick. Ho-hum.

A.
Nick

Postby Nick » July 3rd, 2013, 4:06 am

I will remind our product manager about this issue.

Nick

Return to “Labels & Addresses / Mail Factory”