Question on barcode conversion numbers

KipV

Question on barcode conversion numbers

Postby KipV » January 6th, 2015, 5:21 pm

Hi, I am used to making barcodes with PatternMaker. The workflow I have been using is I will type a barcode number into input box such as 0472 and then the program will then convert that number into something like *0472D*. I noticed in Printworks it won't convert the number over it just displays the barcode as 0472. I was wondering why it works that way? (I should point out I am using a Code 39 style barcode.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-01-06 at 1.43.44 PM.png
What I have been used to with InDesign.
Screen Shot 2015-01-06 at 1.43.44 PM.png (5.72 KiB) Viewed 1861 times
Nick

Re: Question on barcode conversion numbers

Postby Nick » January 7th, 2015, 2:55 am

Hi KipV,

If you add a default Code 39 barcode and type 0472 as it's value, you may find two differences comparing with your image:
1. The text below the barcode in your image begins and ends with asterisks. They aren't a part of the coded information, i.e. no extra bars were added to encode them.
2. 'D' at the end is a check sum. If you didn't add this letter manually yet the sample barcode was decoded correctly, than this letter was added automatically as the check sum. To activate this feature in Printworks, double-click on the barcode and select the "Include checksum" check box.

Nick
KipV

Re: Question on barcode conversion numbers

Postby KipV » January 8th, 2015, 6:38 pm

I noticed that the bars on PatternMaker and Printworks looks the same so it's good to know that the barcode could be read either way. If the asterisks and check sum doesn't need to be on there to be read I will probably just leave them off.

Return to “Printworks”