Exporting to pdf with bleed and cut marks

Captain Slocum

Exporting to pdf with bleed and cut marks

Postby Captain Slocum » July 28th, 2014, 4:00 pm

Hi, I am trialing Printworks which looks really easy to use, which is what I want for some people who don't find computers easy.

However, I still need to output professionally to a printing company, and after spending about an hour with the programme I still can't find where the bleed and cut mark tools are. I have set the bleed in the PDF export dialogue box and checked the cut marks box but no cut marks appear. Bleed does appear, but I cannot see how to set the bleed marks on the page. When I set my own 3mm bleed markers using guide lines (not easy because I cannot see how to set the offset distance other than by trial and error dragging) and created a document, then set the pdf dialogue to 3mm, I got bleed (but no cut marks). When I used one of your templates that obviously had images with bleed, neither the bleed nor the cut marks showed. I appreciate this is a brand new programme and may not be finished, but unless I can set bleed and crop marks and have them appear on the pdf, it is of little use.
Nick

Re: Exporting to pdf with bleed and cut marks

Postby Nick » July 29th, 2014, 5:35 am

Hi,

Thanks for reporting a bug. We'll fix the cut marks printing as soon as possible.

If the printing company you are working with accepts materials in the TIFF format, you can use it instead of PDF. Cut marks are present in TIFFs. Don't forget to set high enough resolution in the export settings.

Nick
Captain Slocum

Postby Captain Slocum » July 29th, 2014, 7:19 am

Thanks for the prompt reply. I'll wait for the bug to be fixed. Otherwise, looks a nice easy programme to use. Are you intending to have a grid? It would make layout easier.
Nick

Postby Nick » July 29th, 2014, 10:01 am

We don't plan adding a grid in the nearest updates. There is a Layout Guides feature under the Insert menu. It lets you add a number of vertical and horizontal guide lines. See if you can use this functionality instead of the grid. This menu command is available only for Desktop Publishing project type.

Nick
miro

Postby miro » January 10th, 2015, 1:40 pm

Hi BelightSoft!

Any hints when the cut mark bug will be fixed?

Thanks

/Miro
Nick

Postby Nick » January 12th, 2015, 5:39 am

Hi Miro,

Fixing cut marks is scheduled for the following update.

Nick

Return to “Printworks”