File Missing From Card

Alex777

Postby Alex777 » October 3rd, 2013, 6:22 pm

Hello,

I opened my password protected Card, as I usually do, but this time, to my surprise, I found that one of the files which was supposed to be contained within the Card is missing.

I have been using this file almost daily for about a year, without any issues. There are 2 other files in that same card, which are intact.

Any chance that I might be able to recover my missing file?

Thank you.
Nick

Postby Nick » October 3rd, 2013, 11:29 pm

Hi Alex,

Files in Concealer are stored on a mountable disk image. When mounted, it operates the same way as regular drives. First, mount it and check the Trash. If the missing files aren't there, the program doesn't,t provide any additional restoration options. If you are using Time Machine or other backup software which stores a previous copy of Concealers storage, you need to lock all disk images opened by Concealer, quit the program and restore a previous copy.

Nick
Alex777

Postby Alex777 » October 4th, 2013, 6:57 am

Thank you, Nick.
Alex777

Postby Alex777 » October 4th, 2013, 7:26 am

Your advice was truly helpful: after unlocking the card, I checked my Mac's Trash folder, and - lo and behold, the missing folder was there. Dragged and dropped it back where it belongs. End of problem. Thank you once more.

If you would please allow me, I'd like to ask two additional "preventive" questions.

1. In your opinion, could the above issue have occurred spontaneously? Could it be potentially inherent to Concealer? Or is it more likely that I accidentally trashed my file? (I tend to doubt this, since I'd never done so before)

2. Is Concealer, or more specifically the concealer.bundle, liable to "break", so to say, upon Mac OS updates? As we approach a major update, from Mac OS Lion to Maverick, I am wondering whether I shoud treat my Concealed files differently than any other file in my computer.

Regards,

Alex
Nick

Postby Nick » October 5th, 2013, 12:51 am

Hi Alex,

1. I think it was a user mistake.

2. We are going to create an update for compatibility with new version of Mac OS. As a rule, backing up the bundle is effective protection from loosing the data inside. If you have a choice to put your data in a card, say a Note, or store it as a text file inside a File Storage, I would choose the second option because it allows to restore data even without Concealer. But don't forget to use a good password for this File Storage.

Nick

Return to “Concealer”