Remember password in keychain

gasport

Postby gasport » July 4th, 2012, 1:36 pm

Just started to use Concealer and had a question on passwords. In the videos you keep saying not to save the password in the keychain. I am a bit confused by this and have a question. I use 1Password and have set it up so the apple keychain is incorporated with the Agile Keychain which is in my Dropbox folder.

Are we taking about two different keychains here or the same? If I do check the box off and the password is stored in the Agile Keychain, does it matter as that keychain is protected by a password?

Just reviewed the topic of moving the Concealer bundle to a flash drive. What is actually stored in the Concealer.bundle? By the way, I have no folder called Belight in my Application Support folder but I do have a folder called Concealer under Application Support that does contain the bundle.

A second question. My intent was to encrypt a file or folder so I could back it up to an online service. I now realize after reading the help file that the file or folder I am encrypting is in reality not encrypted. The encrypted file or folder resides in the Card Repository. To back this up to an external source, I would have to backup the entire Card Repository, which could contain one of more stored files or folders ( Accounts or Notes). I guess the only way to do it would be to create several Card Repositories and backup the ones I want to the online storage. Is this correct?
Last edited by gasport on July 4th, 2012, 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Postby Nick » July 5th, 2012, 5:09 am

Hi gasport,

In our tutorial videos and documentation it's going about the Mac OS keychain.

We don't recommend using the keychain because it lets the user pass one password check to access all secured information. Many users tend to use simple easy-to-remember passwords to quickly log in any time they need to use the computer. Once you logged in successfully, the system doesn't ask you enter the passwords you saved to keychain. That is, if you have a weak password for your user account, and if the master password of Concealer is saved in the keychain, Concealer cannot protect your data.

If you have an individual master password in Concealed that wasn't saved in the keychain and that isn't the same as your account password, to access your data, anyone must know two passwords what is more secure.

Just reviewed the topic of moving the Concealer bundle to a flash drive. What is actually stored in the Concealer.bundle? By the way, I have no folder called Belight in my Application Support folder but I do have a folder called Concealer under Application Support that does contain the bundle.

In the bundle, we save the information from the cards and file storages.
The Help suggests that:
By default, the card repository is located in this directory:
~/Library/Application Support/Concealer/

A second question. ...

The files and folders you add to a file storage in Concealer are encrypted, but appear in Concealer file format.

I guess the only way to do it would be to create several Card Repositories and backup the ones I want to the online storage. Is this correct?

Yes, you can use this method.

If your goal is to backup your files, another our program Get Backup may be more useful. It lets you manage several backups at the same time. There is an option to encrypt your archives. For more details, please check this page:
http://www.belightsoft.com/products/getbackup/overview.php

Get Backup can be used for free with limited functionality.

Nick
gasport

Postby gasport » July 5th, 2012, 9:39 am

Thanks for the quick reply. I live alone so I am not to paranoid about access on my iMac, but I do have a login password, and use 1Password so that is 2 levels of passwords. I would not use the keychain on any encrypted folder of file so that would be 3. I will probably put the login to Concealer in the Agile 1Password Keychain.

Thanks for the info on Get Backup. I did not know it existed. I did not know I had a copy with Toast Titanium 11, even though it is the free version. I do get a discounted upgrade and will use that. I do think it meets my requirements.

Ray

Return to “Concealer”