Exact number for measuring tool

Cat

Postby Cat » April 7th, 2009, 6:20 pm

When I use the measuring tool and draw a line, I have trouble sometimes making it an exact number(it seems to jump in 2 increments). Can you enter the number somehow?
Nick

Postby Nick » April 8th, 2009, 3:07 am

Hi Cat,

There is no way to enter the number. Try to zoom in. Also, the handles of the measurement tool snap to objects and guides. If you measure the wall length or distance between objects, use the snap feature.

Nick
kubvf4f

Postby kubvf4f » December 25th, 2009, 7:50 pm

Cat wrote:When I use the measuring tool and draw a line, I have trouble sometimes making it an exact number(it seems to jump in 2 increments). Can you enter the number somehow?

IMO, this needs to be a feature.
GregL

Postby GregL » December 28th, 2009, 6:26 pm

I agree. I would like to see this as a feature. Speaking of measurements (the reason I am looking around here) I would like to be able to see measurements to a fraction of an inch. I can see this displayed if I zoom (WAY IN) and I can set them in the inspector (e.g. type in 4.5" thick for a wall) but in the inspector and zoomed out views it only displays full inch increments even though the object is actually a fraction of an inch. I would also like to be able to toggle on/off auto dimension display of all (most) interior & exterior measurements rather than have to add any I want with the measurement tool. Or maybe they should display automatically and you can just let us delete the ones we do not want.
Nick

Postby Nick » December 29th, 2009, 7:41 am

Hi,

I would like to be able to see measurements to a fraction of an inch. I can see this displayed if I zoom (WAY IN) and I can set them in the inspector (e.g. type in 4.5" thick for a wall) but in the inspector and zoomed out views it only displays full inch increments even though the object is actually a fraction of an inch.

Live Interior can display the measurements in inches in two modes: "Inches, Fractional" and "Inches, Decimal". I don't really know why the second mode doesn't display decimals. We'll fix this.

I would also like to be able to toggle on/off auto dimension display of all (most) interior & exterior measurements rather than have to add any I want with the measurement tool. Or maybe they should display automatically and you can just let us delete the ones we do not want.

We'll consider your idea.

Nick
GregL

Postby GregL » December 29th, 2009, 9:48 am

I see that part of my problem was that I had switched to "feet-inches". If I switch to inches fractional, the fraction displays on measurements and in the inspector. If I switch to "inches-decimal", the decimal does not display in either although it can be entered in the inspector and does size the object correctly. Feet-inches allows inspector entry with either decimal or fraction and changes the object but does does not display either fractions or decimals (it should).

However I just noticed in feet-inches (I assume this will be the same in inches-decimal) if I change it in the inspector to 4.5 or 4 1/2 then tab out of the field, the object changes and the fraction or decimal is not displayed but worse, if I click in the field again and just tab out of it with out entering anything it changes the object back to 4" since that is what is displayed there. This explains why some things I thought I had changed from 4 to 4.5 ended up back at 4 when I later revisited them. Since this is no longer just a cosmetic / display bug but actually causes dimensions to change, possibly without the user being aware, I would like to request that this be a higher priority bug fix than just cosmetic.

Bugs aside, if you add features in this area I would like to see the options as:

inches-only OR feet-inches OR maybe better just have the option be "display as inches-only below __ inches" so if I entered 24 here, a measurement of 1' 6" would display as 18" but a measurement of 2' 6" would display as 2' 6". Entering 12 would give you the current feet-inches behavior and entering 1000 would give you the current inches-only behavior, entering something in-between gives you a new hybrid option.

Then separately we pick decimal OR fraction (which would go with any option above)

And if you really want extra credit you could allow us to change this for individual measurements to differ from the default. This could be done in the measurement inspector pane that you will hopefully add so we can type in the dimension of a measurement :-)

BTW, on behalf of Americans, I apologize that we have not switched to the metric system.

GregL
Nick

Postby Nick » December 29th, 2009, 11:05 am

Thanks, the bug with rounding values in inches will be fixed.

We'll think about more options to display and input values in inches and/or feet. Probably we should find out how dimensions are displayed in other CAD software.

Nick
jonsap

Re: Exact number for measuring tool

Postby jonsap » July 30th, 2017, 2:28 pm

I hope this is the right thread. It came up when I did a search.

I have recently started working with an architect that uses different software to design/draw houses. I have been told that the floor square feet, heated square feet, is determined by the outside wall dimensions (thus thickness is irrelevant). I don't see a way to configure the software to do this in the 2d View. Ideally, what I would like is a configurable option for one or both.

I am running 3.2.2. of Live Home 3D Pro.

Thank you.

Return to “Live Interior 3D”