Variable wall heights on a single story

jonsap

Re: Variable wall heights on a single story

Postby jonsap » September 25th, 2016, 2:53 pm

I just sent you the crash dump via email.

Also I just checked in at the App Store and it says there are no updates available. I have confirmed that I am running version 3.0 build 729.
Nick

Postby Nick » September 26th, 2016, 2:54 am

Hi

Live Home 3D 3.0.1 is available on App Store.

Nick
jonsap

Postby jonsap » September 27th, 2016, 5:54 pm

Let me try to explain in full what I am trying to do, first with Li3D, now with LH3d-pro. I am attempting to lay out a sing story santa fe style house with some common characteristics for that area. Here are the main elements:

1. The house is a single story.
2. The house must present at least 4 different levels. That is on the outside, some outer walls will be higher than others. I will point that out in an image I will attach.
3. Inside the house there are a number of different ceiling heights. Some at 9, some at 10, and some at 12.
4. To get the difference in wall height on the outside, I tried using wall panels but this is a problem because they want to 'snap' to the regular walls which causes them to not appear to be a continuous wall on the outside. I ended up using objects which did let me get the smooth exterior appearance I was looking for. The problem is they don't show on elevation views.
5. The second image shows a problem I am having using auto roof and getting zero (or less than 3% pitch on the roof. I copied the large roof to the left and it developed a pitch on its own. Event twisting it around does not help.
Attachments
9th-BackYard.jpg
9th-BackYard.jpg (71.82 KiB) Viewed 3796 times
9th.jpg
9th.jpg (73.66 KiB) Viewed 3796 times
Nick

Postby Nick » September 28th, 2016, 6:20 am

Hi

Wall panels are intended to be attached to walls and shouldn't be used as standalone objects. But I don't see a better way to show different wall height on the top of the house.

To design different levels, one can set the proper ceiling and floor elevation in the respective parts of the house. You might have already used this technique.

floor_ceiling_height.jpg
floor_ceiling_height.jpg (55.34 KiB) Viewed 3793 times

In order to display different wall height on outside, try to add another story and draw fake walls using the Building Block (Pro version) or Floor (any version) tool. Then set the elevation of these objects so that they look as walls. I've mage them gray in my picture.

short_walls.png
short_walls.png (20.29 KiB) Viewed 3793 times

The outside view.

top.jpg
top.jpg (45.33 KiB) Viewed 3793 times

The problem with an unintended roof pitch:
There should be a shed roof type which has one tilt side and three the rest are vertical (gable). Try to select the pitch you wish to get rid of, and set its type to Gable in the Inspector. Images in the Help may give you an idea of what I mean:
http://www.livehome3d.com/support/lh3d-help/roofs_change_style.html#shed

Nick
Nick

Postby Nick » September 28th, 2016, 6:48 am

Thanks to the project manager, I can give you a better solution for different wall height in the elevation view. I is available only in the Pro edition.

Add another floor on the top of one you have. Set its height equal to the height of the highest wall. To cut the top of the rest of the walls, add an opening by drawing it directly in the elevation view. In my picture, the opening is at the top on the left side.

elevation_view.png
elevation_view.png (63.38 KiB) Viewed 3792 times

opening.jpg
opening.jpg (32.45 KiB) Viewed 3792 times

Nick
jonsap

Postby jonsap » September 28th, 2016, 7:46 am

Thank you for this. I will give it a try.
jonsap

Postby jonsap » September 28th, 2016, 4:12 pm

I think we are on the right track now. A couple of problems though:
1. There is a slab between floors which architecturally makes sense but remember that I want to have some ceiling heights differer and that would mean I need a ceiling above the slab which would not work.
2. Even when I draw a ceiling manually, it seems that it wants to extend across different rooms.
Nick

Postby Nick » September 29th, 2016, 7:29 am

There are two approaches.

1. You can make the story height equal to the distance between the lowest floor level and the highest ceiling level. In this case, all rooms in your building will will fit this space. This method is better than (2) because you don't have to add any additional objects.

2. You can use the ceiling opening to remove the ceiling above some area. Then add a new ceiling at a higher level. The new ceiling can be created out of a Building Block object. It will be possible to set it any elevation.
The other way is to use the ceiling of the story above. This second way requires you to draw walls on the first floor atop which the new ceiling will be placed. The ceiling height can be changed by changing the story height of the first floor.

Nick
jonsap

Postby jonsap » September 29th, 2016, 11:57 am

Thanks. Actually I think the story height needs to be equal to the distance between the lowest floor level and the highest ceiling PLUS the amount of space between the highest ceiling and the maximum I need to be able to cut openings to so as to allow me to show different apparent wall heights. I have started to play with this and I think it will work.
jonsap

Postby jonsap » October 1st, 2016, 2:00 pm

[attachment=0]Screen%20Shot%202016-10-01%20at%202.57.06%20PM.png[/attachmentI am not sure that the openings approach to the walls work. At the intersection of the walls in the 3D view there is a while line at the intersection of the openings no matter what I do.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-10-01 at 2.57.06 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-10-01 at 2.57.06 PM.png (168.98 KiB) Viewed 3789 times
Nick

Postby Nick » October 3rd, 2016, 8:59 am

Try to activate the Dynamic Subtraction option in the project settings. What it does is described on this page:
http://www.livehome3d.com/support/lh3d-help/project_settings.html

Nick
jonsap

Postby jonsap » October 5th, 2016, 7:27 am

Perfect, thank you very much.
jonsap

Postby jonsap » October 8th, 2016, 2:46 pm

I am sorry but I am still having some trouble. There are two problem areas. The first is the problem the "Dynamic Subtraction" was to have solved. At some corners it works. At others no matter what I do with the opening or the wall it has a problem.

I have left the wall highligted so you can see that at the top there is white space associate with the wall that does not get cleared away. The elevation of the opening and height of the opening is the same as all the rest

The second problem is related to using openings. There seems to be an issue in a wall made up of sections. You can not extend. It looks like to have to draw a new opening for each section even if they are adjacent.

Is this correct?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-10-08 at 3.56.23 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-10-08 at 3.56.23 PM.png (82.23 KiB) Viewed 3785 times
Nick

Postby Nick » October 10th, 2016, 4:26 am

Hi

Unfortunately, your screenshot doesn't let me see clearly what is wrong. But after some tests, I've found that the openings may not update right away. For example, if you add two intersecting openings to a building corner, the program will not cut off the unnecessary parts even if the Dynamic subtraction option is activated. To fix this, you have to open the 3D view and move each of the openings around with the mouse.

If this is not your case, please send your project to support@belightsoft.com together with the link to this topic.

Nick
jonsap

Postby jonsap » October 10th, 2016, 10:29 am

Nick,

I am sending a request to support. The file is to large to attach to an email drawing. I am also finding that the program hangs a lot with this new version of pro. Perhaps it is the file. In any case you are also correct that the openings do not do the right thing. I have spent more than two weeks on this aspect of the project. It is just not usable for my case.

I am attaching it here.

------
I see the attachment failed. Even after using zip it is 129MB. Not sure what to do from here.

Return to “Live Interior 3D”