Bull nosed verandahs/patios

VirtHome

Bull nosed verandahs/patios

Postby VirtHome » March 25th, 2016, 12:04 am

I'm having a lot of difficulty creating patios and verandahs like the generic one shown below. I've been using shapes to create the lower roofline...but joining at the corner and generating the curves is very time consuming. Because of roof overhangs I can't use the technique of dropping a segment or gable to 90 degrees. Have you any tricks I can use to recreate this type of roof and verandah covering?

Bull nosed verandah1.jpg
Bull nosed verandah1.jpg (14.65 KiB) Viewed 592 times
Nick

Re: Bull nosed verandahs/patios

Postby Nick » March 25th, 2016, 8:03 am

You can try this way.
1. Draw a custom floor where the floor of the veranda should be.

1.jpg
1.jpg (40.47 KiB) Viewed 589 times

2. Activate the ground floor and apply the "Add AutoRoof on the Current Storey" command which is in the Building Properties tab of the Inspector. I've changes the default textures in my pictures.

2.jpg
2.jpg (39.24 KiB) Viewed 589 times

The Hip roof type was selected in the Roof Assistant. Then I switched the roof sides passing along the wall to the Gable type.

3. Using the Object Properties tab of the Inspector, set the roof's Elevation. Then adjust the angles of the roof sides. Also you will need to tweak the Overhang and maybe Thickness property in order to match the roof segments in the corners.

3.jpg
3.jpg (42.67 KiB) Viewed 589 times

4. Set up the Elevation of the floor added at step 1.

4.jpg
4.jpg (43.17 KiB) Viewed 589 times

Nick
VirtHome

Re: Bull nosed verandahs/patios

Postby VirtHome » March 25th, 2016, 9:28 pm

Thank you so much Nick! I hadn't realised I could place a roof at ground level, then elevate it! You have saved me so much time with this clear and straightforward advice. I've tried your suggestion and it's worked very well. You guys are brilliant...

Return to “Live Interior 3D”