Please clarify imported materials issue

catherine

Please clarify imported materials issue

Postby catherine » February 17th, 2016, 3:07 pm

Dear Belight: I researched this question thoroughly before posting, and none of the suggestions previously given on this topic have worked for me. In Live Interior Pro, I intended to organize and clean out my Imported Materials library (following a suggestion by Belight) by creating a duplicate material and re-naming it, then deleting the original. However, the original will not delete. Then I read that all objects containing a material must be deleted in order to get rid of it from the library. So I saved a copy of a project and deleted every object not in use. The materials are all still in the library and they do not delete when I control-click to the Delete Selected Material option.

So far I have not found any working method of reducing the number of materials created by imported objects. The more they accumulate, the slower the program runs, to the point where I barely find it usable.

Am I missing something? I have Mac OS 6.8 and LI3D 2.9.7. Thanks for your time.
Nick

Re: Please clarify imported materials issue

Postby Nick » February 18th, 2016, 4:01 am

Sorry if you were misled, but the standard materials cannot be deleted. This is why the Delete Selected material option is disabled when you select one.

As far as I know, the presence of imported materials in the material library shouldn't make the program slower. Especially after reopening the program. Try to reboot your computer, open a sample projects and check if the program is still working too slow.

What can decrease the performance is the number and complexity of imported objects added to the project. A big number of light sources can also make rendering the 3D view slower.

Nick
catherine

Postby catherine » February 18th, 2016, 10:36 am

Hi Nick--thanks for your help. I'm not trying to delete standard materials--just imported ones that have accumulated in the library.

Is it true that removing imported objects from a project should also remove their materials from the library? Or do the imported materials remain in the library after deleting the objects?
Nick

Postby Nick » February 19th, 2016, 9:45 am

Hi

Materials listed in the Imported category are stored not in the library but in the project. If you open a new project, there will be no Imported category. So, every time you open your project, the Imported category will display materials of imported objects. If you removed some imported materials from the library, they would reappear the next time you open the project.

If apply a library material to an imported object instead of an imported one so that it is not used by any object in the project, then the replaced material should disappear from the Imported category.

One more note. If you open a project with imported materials and then close the project, the library will show these materials until you quit and reopen the program. So, if you don't quit Live Interior for long time, the Imported category can contain objects that are not in use. In this case, restarting the program can remove them.

Nick

Return to “Live Interior 3D”