Circle Not Round

hoishing

Postby hoishing » April 22nd, 2011, 12:08 pm

Hi,

Sometimes when I apply artistic shading on a circle, the the top and right edge of the circle will be clipped a bit. Thus the circle doesn't look perfectly round. Pls see the red circle below:

Can it be fixed?

I am using Art Text 2.3.2 (400)

thanks,
Kelvin
Nick

Postby Nick » April 26th, 2011, 2:58 am

Hi Kelvin,

Please send your document to support@belightsoft.com with the link to this forum.
What version of Mac OS X is installed on your computer?

Nick
Nick

Postby Nick » April 28th, 2011, 3:18 am

Thanks for sending me your document. I think the problem happens because of the image resolution. When it is too low, a circle cannot be perfect in a raster image. At 150 dpi and lower, the circle exported from your document looks like displayed above. With 200 dpi and higher, the circle looks normally.

Nick
hoishing

Postby hoishing » April 28th, 2011, 3:52 am

Thanks Nick, hope it can be fixed in the next release. Since I think its quite common to use Art Text for making low resolution image, such as mobile icons.
Nick

Postby Nick » April 28th, 2011, 4:51 am

Increasing the resolution makes exported PDFs better, while in TIFFs the defect remains.

Some more experiments give an idea that the problem is related to the image size. When I scale the circle (x1.5 or x2) the defect disappears. For a workaround, you can scale up the document. Once it is exported, resize the created image to the proper dimensions. Note that you need to increase the Depth parameter to preserve the look of the 3D effect.

We'll fix this problem as soon as we can.

Nick
Clarkey

Postby Clarkey » July 14th, 2011, 1:20 pm

Bump! Please can I resurrect this thread...

Any news on a fix for this circle clipping problem. I'm struggling to create round icons and even scaling to 512 x 51px leaves the top and/or right edge of the circle shapes clipped.
Best,
Keith..
Nick

Postby Nick » July 15th, 2011, 6:36 am

I'll remind the developers about this issue.

An effective solution is to set a larger document size, export, and then crop to the desired image size. To increase the document size, click the Set Size button in the main window. Set "Fit all objects using margins" to 2-4 pixels and click Set Size. Finally click OK.

Nick

Return to “Art Text”