Some remarks , suggestions about AT2…

Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » April 15th, 2011, 12:11 pm

Hi Nick
As you're certainly working hard to produce the next version of AT, I should like to make some remarks and suggestions about AT (2.3.2):
#1 Most of the time, when I lock/unlock or show/hide a layer from the layer pane, this is not to make it the active layer but just to change its state.
This is particularly evident when editing a layer (the active one) and needing to lock another layer (e.g. just to make sure I don't move it by mistake). As I can't edit a locked layer (and this is absolutely normal) I don't want to make it the new active layer.
So, until I select another layer by clicking on its name (third column), I think that the current active layer should remain the same. Another example is when moving a layer in the layer stack: moving a layer that is not the active one doesn't necessary mean that I want to make it the new active layer, just that I need to try different combinations when editing the active layer (e.g. when trying different blend modes).
#2 A very annoying behavior of the new shape editor is that there's no way to zoom its content and/or to resize the whole editor sheet. Saying that (and you already know that) I think that editing shape should be made directly from the main document window.
#3 "We" really need grid and guides
#4 To be able to use the Shift key when moving a direction line, I have to re-select this point. Most of the time, in other vector applications, this behavior can be used in "real time". Btw., I can't see any reference to this, so useful, behavior in the AT help.
#5 There's no way to resize layer content using a "Fix Aspect Ratio" option…à la DC/SP.
Of course, there're certainly other features/behaviors to change or improve.
JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 3.06GHz
http://belightcommunity.free.fr/BeLight Community website
Nick

Postby Nick » April 18th, 2011, 3:41 am

Hi Jean-Jacques,

We'll consider your comments (not really sure about moving the vector editor to the main window).

Could you explain #4 ?
Changing the angle between the direction lines to anything but 180 degrees is a permanent operation. Once it is done, you don't need to repeat it again.

Nick
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » April 19th, 2011, 9:04 am

Hi Nick
About #4:
A. Selecting a smooth point

B. Moving one of the two direction points (so, the two segments of the direction line move)

C. using Shift key when moving one direction point (so, only one segment moves)

Beside the fact that there's nothing about that in AT Help, I'm not sure to really understand how to reverse the behavior of moving a point (so, getting back the default behavior (see #B)).
It is a nice feature found in most vector drawing applications but without a better documentation it's really hard to (efficiently) use (at least for me ;^)).
Nick

Postby Nick » April 19th, 2011, 10:13 am

Hi Jean-Jacques,

To reverse this operation, you need to move one of the direction lines until the angle between them is 180 degrees.

My question was about the "real time" behavior. Moving one of the direction line handles, you wish to press Shift in order to continue moving the handle you drag, and stop moving the opposite. Is it right?

Nick
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » April 20th, 2011, 6:13 am

Nick wrote:Hi Jean-Jacques,

My question was about the "real time" behavior. Moving one of the direction line handles, you wish to press Shift in order to continue moving the handle you drag, and stop moving the opposite. Is it right?

Nick

Absolutely Nick!
For now, we need to re-select the direction point.
But, imho, the most annoying is that there's no way to move the two direction points at once when the angle between them is no more 180°.
Nick

Postby Nick » April 20th, 2011, 8:36 am

Thanks, Jean-Jacques.
I'm adding this feature to the list of suggestions.

Nick
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » May 11th, 2011, 6:21 am

Hi Nick
I should like to add a few more suggestions and remarks about AT:
#6 A better and more powerful gradient tool:
- better by adding:
-- a way to visualize how the gradient looks (from the gradients "pane" itself)
-- a way to save/load custom gradients (e.g. the same way one can manage custom colors and palettes from the Apple Color Picker). This could be a feature shared by all BeLight applications (SP, DC, BCC, L&A and AT), not only the tool itself but the gradients library too, making possible to use a gradient defined (say) from AT in SP…
- more powerful by adding:
-- the possibility to add more colors in gradients ("A CGGradient object has a color space, two or more colors, and a location for each color.") and, of course, a full way to move/adjust locations.
Most image editors/drawing apps have this kind of gradient tool (Acorn, Pixelmator, Illustrator…)
A radial gradient in Acorn:

A linear gradient:

A few applications offer an even more powerful way to adjust more precisely the blending of two adjacent colors:
Example from Intaglio (note the small lozenge controls):
Nick

Postby Nick » May 11th, 2011, 7:36 am

Hi Jean-Jacques,

We will think about such improvement. Thanks for the idea!

Nick

Return to “Art Text”