text positioning

fortheempire

Postby fortheempire » February 2nd, 2011, 6:14 pm

I'm brand new to art text and I love it. However, Im frustrated that I can't curve text downwards in a perfect circle. If I use the circular text tool... the text is upside down at the bottom. I would like to have the text split in two, curved up at the top and curved down at the bottom in a perfect circle. Any ideas? Thankyou
Nick

Postby Nick » February 3rd, 2011, 5:36 am

Hi,

At the top you can use the ring or semi-ring transformation. Using these tools for text at the bottom, you have to place it upside-down. To avoid this, you need to flip the bottom text vertically and then apply the transformation. This is not possible because the program applies the transformation before flipping.

For a workaround:
1. Create a new document containing one text layer.
2. Type the text which should be placed at the bottom of the circle. Don't apply any transformations or other effects.
3. Select the proper font.
4. Flip the text vertically.
5. Click the Set Size button. Set "Fit all objects using margins" to 0. Then click Set Size and OK.
6. Export the document to PDF.
7. Return to your main project. Drag the created PDF to the main window to create a new layer.
8. Flip the added layer.
9. Apply the Ring or Semi-Ring transformation.

The obvious limitation of this method is that after exporting to PDF, you cannot edit the text any more. To modify it, you should return to step 2.

Another possible solution is to use an upside down font for the bottom. Here a difficulty is to meet this font with another used for the upper part of your design.

Nick
fortheempire

Postby fortheempire » February 3rd, 2011, 8:53 am

Thanks very much for your reply. It was all looking good until I tried to change the geometry and the option wasn't there. I did save as a PDF... ??
Thanks Graeme
Last edited by fortheempire on February 3rd, 2011, 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Postby Nick » February 3rd, 2011, 9:32 am

I tried to change the geometry and the option wasn't there.

What did you mean? The transformation tools must always be present.

To export to PDF, click the Export To button in the main window and select the PDF format.

Nick
fortheempire

Postby fortheempire » February 3rd, 2011, 10:10 am

Geometry tools not present on the layer with PDF image on, honestly!!
Nick

Postby Nick » February 3rd, 2011, 11:07 am

You must have applied one of effects (shadow or glow). These effects add raster graphics to the PDF. Try to export with only plain color fill selected.

Nick
fortheempire

Postby fortheempire » February 3rd, 2011, 2:52 pm

Ive checked twice, no glow, shadow or stroke. Very frustrating!!
thanks...
Graeme
Last edited by fortheempire on February 3rd, 2011, 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dynamicduo

Postby dynamicduo » February 3rd, 2011, 8:23 pm

I've been wondering how to do this too and just made use of the curve text tool for the bottom. I tried what Nick suggested and at first, no geometry tools, which was due to my using the Finder to import. I didn't realize I could drag stuff in. You really do have to DRAG the PDF into the main window. I saved it to my desktop and then DRAGGED it in and it worked.
Last edited by dynamicduo on February 3rd, 2011, 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fortheempire

Postby fortheempire » February 4th, 2011, 2:16 am

It does say drag doesn't it!! I was opening it up with the finder. Thankyou for pointing that out. I'll try that.....
Thanks
Graeme
fortheempire

Postby fortheempire » February 4th, 2011, 5:28 am

Success!... Thanks Nick and dynamicduo. In my excitement I didn't read the instructions properly. Back to school for me!

Return to “Art Text”