Bas-relief text

martinc199

Postby martinc199 » November 5th, 2009, 5:54 pm

Hi there,

I'm quite new to Art Text. Most, if not all, of the style seems to be embossed. Is it possible to create bas-relief text? In other words text that looks as though it has been carved out from the surface rather than laid on to it.

many thanks,
Martin
Nick

Postby Nick » November 6th, 2009, 9:57 am

Hi Martin,

The material library has the "Simple Emboss" material in the Artistic collection. It lets you create a basic emboss effect.

To get more realistic picture, you have to combine several layers. One of ways is to cut the text out (look at the Art Tex icon) and apply a material. Then place a texture over all the layers.
This picture was created using three layers:

Nick
martinc199

Postby martinc199 » November 6th, 2009, 10:02 am

Hi Nick,

That looks great. I'll try it for myself.

Thanks very much,
Martin
Nick

Postby Nick » December 23rd, 2009, 7:33 am

Hi,

Here you can find an instruction that demonstrates how to create bas-relief text: Creating Bas-relief Text in Art Text. I'm going to add a bit more information to this article in the future.

Nick
soboku

Postby soboku » January 17th, 2011, 5:10 pm

I 2nd this. I have been trying to do the carved text in photoshop elements 9 for sometime now but just can't get the job done. It seems that its missing some of the tools the full version has. So I hope that maybe this effect can be added sometime. I will also take a look at create bas-relief text.
Nick

Postby Nick » January 18th, 2011, 3:27 am

I believe that there must be Photoshop tutorials telling how to create such an effect.

If you are working on a Mac, try to create the bas-relief text in the demo of Art Text:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/belightsoft/ArtText.dmg
We have the discounted price at App Store which will be available for about two days. Follow the link on Art Text page:
http://www.belightsoft.com/products/arttext/overview.php

Nick
soboku

Postby soboku » January 18th, 2011, 9:42 am

yes there are millions but all that I have seen are for older versions and the "this and thats" are not in my version so I can not follow them. It says to do this with this setting or go to this menu and my version don't have thoses settings and or menus. I looked at the bas-relief text but I'm missing something on "Using the Join Operation with Several Layers no. 8" says "Set the color of the background layer identical with the plain part of the layer with depressed text" So what is depressed text? or how do I depressed it? Well now everyone knows I'm a novas lol. I did buy arttext from the app store the price was to good to turn down thank you.
Nick

Postby Nick » January 18th, 2011, 11:05 am

At step 8 there are two working layers. The first at the top of others has holes in shape of letters (the layer with depressed text). The layer below it is the background that is visible through the letters. Here you need to make the background layer of the same gray color as the top one.

The icons of the layers are displayed below the canvas. The icon of the active layer is highlighted, and its parameters are displayed to the right.

To create the layer with text shown at step 7, you need to have two layers. Try this:
1. Create a new document.
2. In the menu, choose Layers > Add Layer.
3. Close the window which displays the library of shapes. Now you have two layers: the original text and a rectangle over it. The layer with the rectangle is selected.
4. Press Cmd-A to select all layers.
5. In the menu, choose Layers > Join. Two selected layers have turned to one. The parts of the rectangle where the letters were is now transparent.

Nick
soboku

Postby soboku » January 18th, 2011, 11:21 am

ahhh kewl the light just came on for me lol. Ok I was missing the Cmd-A step ok so now I get it lol thanks. It would still be kewl to have a styles for this but this will work. Thanks a lot for your help.
Nick

Postby Nick » January 19th, 2011, 4:02 am

Note that Cmd-A selects all the layers. If you need to apply Join to only two from many layers, select only these two. To do this, click on one and then holding the Cmd key click on another.

Nick

Return to “Art Text”