Can't see Excel files

dodsonmd

Postby dodsonmd » December 10th, 2010, 12:27 pm

Using L&A 1.5.5, MacOSX 10.6.5.
The program will not open any Excel files. Using Office 2011 with an .xslx, but even saving the file as .xls leaves only a grayed out file in the open dialog?
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » December 11th, 2010, 7:51 am

Hi
Don't forget that Excel has to be present in your computer!
Having access to Excel files isn't sufficient.
The same occurs for FilemakerPro, Numbers…
If you can't install Excel in your own computer, try to get a "CSV" (or a tab delimited text file), exporting data from Excel.
JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 3.06GHz
http://belightcommunity.free.fr/BeLight Community website
trixit

Postby trixit » January 18th, 2011, 12:51 pm

Hi guys!

I must say I have the same issue! It must be a bug!
I can't open/load an Excel file. All the Excel files are simply grayed out when trying to select it.

I have Microsoft Office 2011 installed on my Mac. I have Snow Leopard 10.6.6.
Office is updated to latest version as well.

I also believe you should be able to open an Excel file regardless of having it installed on the computer. What if someone emails you an Excel file so you can create labels?

Please, advise!

Thanks!

Adam
Last edited by trixit on January 18th, 2011, 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Postby Nick » January 19th, 2011, 5:15 am

Hi Adam,

1. Labels & Addresses cannot open MS Excel files if Excel is not installed on your computer. Our software opens the spreadsheet in Excel and import the data from this program, not directly from the file.

2. In the preferences of Labels & Addresses (Cmd-,) there is the Address Importing section where you can set up the path to the database software installed on your computer. Make sure that the path to the Excel application is valid.

Nick
trixit

Postby trixit » January 20th, 2011, 1:05 am

Nick wrote:Hi Adam,

1. Labels & Addresses cannot open MS Excel files if Excel is not installed on your computer. Our software opens the spreadsheet in Excel and import the data from this program, not directly from the file.

2. In the preferences of Labels & Addresses (Cmd-,) there is the Address Importing section where you can set up the path to the database software installed on your computer. Make sure that the path to the Excel application is valid.

Nick

Hi Nick!
Thanks for your answer! It helped. I had to go to Preferences to re-set the path to Excel. I have noticed, however, that it was the same path as before. But it started working! So that is GOOD!

Also thanks for the explanation of how the data is imported. I didn't want Excel to launch every time I tried to import the file so I did a CSV file and it is working great without launching Excel!

Thanks for great advice! I love Labels and Addresses! It's saving me a lot of time! Keep up the great work!

Adam

Return to “Labels & Addresses / Mail Factory”