File Folder Labels

jkeys01

Postby jkeys01 » April 12th, 2010, 8:21 am

I love the extensive features of L&A, but I'm struggling to figure out how to do one of the main things I purchased it for. I need to be able to quickly print out a sheet of 10 or 15 file labels each with a different name or title. Right now I can only see how to do one at a time. Do I have to use merge or is there some way to just type in what I need (several on a sheet) and print.

Jim
Nick

Postby Nick » April 13th, 2010, 3:48 am

Hi Jim,

Yes, you have to use the merge printing mode. There are two ways to compose a list of addresses - print list. The first is to create a permanent list in the internal database. You can access it using the Source panel (Window > Contacts > Print Lists).

The second way seems to be better for you. You display the your contacts in the Sours panel by choosing Address Book or other contact manager. Select those that you wish to print. To do this, hold Shift or Cmd while you are clicking on names. The selected contacts form a temporary print list.

Nick
jkeys01

Postby jkeys01 » April 13th, 2010, 5:21 am

Thanks Nick, but I'm doing file folder labels, not address labels. Every label is like a Title (usually an event name) and every one is different. I'm trying desperately to find a simple solution... Something that will bring up a sheet of labels and let me type the info and print. I guess there's just nothing like that out there for the Mac. I do love Labels & Addresses for my other label needs, though.

Jim
Nick

Postby Nick » April 13th, 2010, 5:38 am

Labels & Addresses can print titles as if they were person's names. You just need to import this information in the program. Create a list of titles in a text file, for instance, and import it. Link text lines you import with a particular data field, for instance, First Name. Then add a First Name field to your label. the program will populate it with imported text.

This page describes import from a text file:
http://www.belightsoft.com/products/labelsaddresses/LAHelp/import_text_excel.html

This one is about merge printing:
http://www.belightsoft.com/products/labelsaddresses/LAHelp/printing_merge.html

Nick
jkeys01

Postby jkeys01 » April 14th, 2010, 11:28 am

Nick,
I hate to seem like a dunce... but I'm still not sure I get it. Are you saying that all labels have to be run through the address book? I don't think I want to clutter up my address book with file folder data.

Jim
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » April 14th, 2010, 3:50 pm

Hi jkeys01
You have to type your labels text in a file not in Address Book.
For example, here's the content of a file for five labels
#1 label content
#2 label content
#3 label content
#4 label content
#5 label
this line is the second line of the fifth label

Carriage return separates labels and ctrl-return separates lines in a same label.
Importing content of this file in L&A may be done with Insert>File Data.

Note that:
- you may use TextEdit to create this file
- save it as text file (.txt) not rtf

Here's a screenshot of the result (slightly cropped) when printing to pdf:

Hope this helps.
JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 3.06GHz
http://belightcommunity.free.fr/BeLight Community website

Return to “Labels & Addresses / Mail Factory”