L&A 1.5.2 fatal crash

DaveMandell

Postby DaveMandell » January 21st, 2010, 12:34 am

Hi! I emailed support about this as well, but I am trying to test out L&A to see if we can use it to replace our Windows box, which at this point is only around for us to be able to use our Zebra TLP-2844 that we use for UPC and promotional stickers. I downloaded the trial version and created a test sticker, but every time I go to print it, when I click "next" in the first print dialogue box, the app freezes and I can't even force quit it or even quit in activity monitor, I have to restart the machine to stop whatever process it is hanging on.

I am running OSX 10.5.8 on a PPC G5 dual 2.0gHz (first gen, not the dual core model).
Nick

Postby Nick » January 21st, 2010, 3:47 am

Hi Dave,

Does you printer work with its print utility or other software? Logs may be help to find out what's wrong. Please send your console log to support@belightsoft.com

Repeat the attempt to print to get messages generated (close all other programs before this since you may have to reboot the computer). To save the console log, open the Console application from the Applications/Utilities folder. Choose File > Open Console Log. Then choose File > Save a Copy As in the menu of Console to save the log. I'm not sure that logs will be present, but it is worth to check.

Nick
DaveMandell

Postby DaveMandell » January 21st, 2010, 4:02 pm

Yup, it works with Filemaker 5, so the driver (CUPS, profile EPL 1.3) seems to be working fine. I wrote back to support with some info they asked for, so I'll see what they say and force another crash if they need the log I guess.

EDIT: Ok, now this is strange--I was just able to get it to print by going through that process (i.e., where the program hangs), then unplugging the printer's USB cable (which freed up the program and brought up the second dialogue window), then plugging it back in. I really have no idea why this is.
Nick

Postby Nick » January 22nd, 2010, 8:19 am

Thanks for information. Your logs will be helpful as well.

Please check this:
1. If you have any other desktop printer installed (or even a driver without a printer), choose this printer in the first print dialog (before clicking Next) and see if Labels & Addresses can print. You can choose displaying a PDF in the system print dialog instead of actual printing.

If it prints (or you can see your labels in the Preview), do the same but in the system print dialog re-select your Zebra printer and print. Will it work?

2. Thinking that your document may cause the problem, try to open a template label with a default address and no graphics. What happens?

Nick
DaveMandell

Postby DaveMandell » January 25th, 2010, 2:13 pm

Hi Nick--still no luck, but I have a friend who is bringing by a laptop later today so I'll be able to see if the problem is a PPC vs. Intel one or if it's my printer or install or what...
TWZebra

Postby TWZebra » September 27th, 2011, 3:11 pm

I'm having exactly the same problem. Zebra TLP 2844, OS 10.6.7, L&A 1.6.2. I either have to unplug the Zebra after pressing NEXT in the first print dialog box or select a different printer at that point and re-select the Zebra in the system print dialog. Either way it will print, but this work around is adding steps to my work flow I would like to eliminate. Any idea what might be at fault?
Nick

Postby Nick » September 28th, 2011, 2:52 am

Hi TWZebra,

Please do this:
1. Run the printing procedure again without the trick with unplugging the printer in order to repeat the problem. If the program freezes, save the console log and send it to support@belightsoft.com together with the link to this topic.

To save the console log, open the Console application from the Applications/Utilities folder. Choose File > Open Console Log. Then choose File > Save a Copy As in the menu of Console to save the log.

2. If you have the Zebra label printing software or an application from another developer, try to print a label in a regular way. Does this work, or you experience a problem similar to Labels & Addresses?

3. Reset the printing system. By doing this, you remove the printer driver in order to reinstall it. Follow the instruction from this topic:
http://www.belightsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8820

Nick
Nick

Postby Nick » September 30th, 2011, 11:09 am

Hi TWZebra,

Thank you for the log and other details.

Sorry for delayed reply. I needed some time to find Zebra LP 2844 printer for tests (not TLP 2844). On my computer with 10.6.8 and L&A 1.6.2 (460) it prints with ELP1 and ELP2 drivers. It work with the raster printing option on and off.

Please check the settings in the system print dialog. Set the Presets to Standard. Under Layout drop-down control, choose Printer Features. Set everything to default. I had:
Feature Sets: General > Resolution: 203 dpi
Feature Sets: General > Media Type: Printer Default
Feature Sets: Printer Settings > Darkness: Printer Default
Feature Sets: Printer Settings > Print Rate: Printer Default

Also make sure that the correct paper is selected in L&A. To verify this choose File > Change Layout.

Nick

Return to “Labels & Addresses / Mail Factory”