Move templates directory to Dropbox

Bocaboy

Postby Bocaboy » November 16th, 2013, 12:51 pm

I purchased Labels and Addresses from the App Store and have it installed on both my iMac and MacBook Pro. It would be great if there was a place in Preferences to change the location of the My Templates directory to Dropbox which would then easily allow sharing of the same templates between machines. As it is now, I have to manually copy them from the folder in Library/Application Support to the other machine.
Last edited by Bocaboy on November 16th, 2013, 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gilles9

Postby Gilles9 » November 17th, 2013, 6:16 am

Anything that uses DropBox or iCloud has become necessary these days

I support Bocaboy question and recommendation if not implemented
Last edited by Gilles9 on November 18th, 2013, 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Postby Nick » November 18th, 2013, 4:12 am

Hi Bocaboy and Gilles9,

I'll pass your idea to the developers.

Nick
daleus

Postby daleus » March 18th, 2014, 9:09 pm

This can already be done by using the terminal.

Here's what I did (Assuming the Dropbox folder is located in it's default location of ~/Dropbox):

* Open up the Terminal and type in the following:

Code: Select all

open ~/Dropbox

* This should open up a Finder window with the contents of your Dropbox folder.
* Create a folder inside the Dropbox folder to hold your application settings. I call mine Application Settings (because I use this folder for multiple applications)
* Inside this newly created Application Settings folder, I create a new folder called Labels & Addresses.
* Go back to Terminal and type in the following:

open ~/Library/Application Support/Labels & Addresses

* MOVE the My Templates folder from ~/Library/Application Support/Labels & Addresses to the Labels & Addresses folder that is inside your Dropbox/Application Settings folder
* Go back to Terminal and type in the following:

cd ~/Library/Application Support/Labels & Addresses/
ln -s ~/Dropbox/Application Settings/Labels & Addresses/My Templates/ "My Templates"

This creates a symbolic link called My Templates inside of the ~/Library/Application Support/Labels & Addresses folder. This symbolic link then links to the My Templates folder that is now inside your Dropbox folder.

Now, all you have to do is go onto your other computer, go to the ~/Library/Application Support/Labels & Addresses folder, then delete the My Templates folder. Then, open up Terminal and create that symbolic link again on the new computer.

I know it's a lot of steps, but once you get the hang of it, you can do this for many of your applications (which is what I do).
Last edited by daleus on March 18th, 2014, 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Labels & Addresses / Mail Factory”