Custom field not appearing when exporting for printing

johnddyer

Postby johnddyer » November 16th, 2011, 9:39 am

Hi,

I have a custom field (Custom 5) in this case on the labels that I made in a custom format (based on one of the avery ones) but when I go to mail merge and print the labels this custom field is not appearing on the label. I really need it to do so and imagine it is some setting that I have not found. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Best
Last edited by johnddyer on November 16th, 2011, 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnddyer

Postby johnddyer » November 16th, 2011, 9:59 am

OK, by changing it to Custom 4 I can get it to print on the one off label printing I think but when I do a Mail Merge it disappears again.

In fact it looks like in Mail Merge that ALL my "custom" fields are disapearing. What is with that??

Also some letters with accents (my list is in Portuguese) are coming out with weird symbols, is there a fix for that?
Nick

Postby Nick » November 16th, 2011, 10:11 am

Hi,

Probably the Custom 5 field of the contacts you are printing is empty. To enter some details in it, you need to open the built-in database, select a contact to show up its details. Look at the image on this page:
http://www.belightsoft.com/products/labelsaddresses/LAHelp/addresses_databases.html
This is how contacts are presented in the internal database. In the middle a person is selected. The panel to the right displays its details. In the bottom of this panel you can find and edit the content of Custom fields.

To edit contacts in the database, you need to import them and add to a print list.

If the information for a custom field is present in an external database, you can link a data field of the database with Custom. This can be done during importing. See step 4 here:
http://www.belightsoft.com/products/labelsaddresses/LAHelp/import_text_excel.html
johnddyer

Postby johnddyer » November 16th, 2011, 10:43 am

That is not the problem because all the fields appear in the normal view of L & A.

I see that in Mail Merge the source for the addresses it was using was Address Book and not the addresses I had been editing in L & A. (Sort of counter intuitive as a default setting) and I don't see exactly how to just grab the files I was working on in the other screen but when I chose "Numbers" (Since that is where I got them from originally) it seems to import them correctly again and worked OK. Not sure how that would work if I had edited any of the addresses in L & A though........

Thanks for your time!
Nick

Postby Nick » November 17th, 2011, 4:52 am

Do you run merge printing with addresses from Address Book or from Numbers?
There is some difference:
1. Contacts from Address Book are imported in real time without intermediate dialogs. So, the program doesn't ask you how to link the imported data with internal data fields.
2. The link between a custom field and info from database breaks when you select another database as the source.

Thus switching between Address Book and Numbers gives different results in printing Custom fields.

I see that in Mail Merge the source for the addresses it was using was Address Book and not the addresses I had been editing in L & A.

The merge function works this way. You can edit the address on the canvas and print this modified variant. But at merge printing, the design in the main window is used as a template. All information is taken from the selected source (Address Book, for instance) which wasn't modified.

To modify imported contacts and print in the merge mode, you should add them to a print list and make necessary changes. Then choose this print list as the source.

Nick

Return to “Labels & Addresses / Mail Factory”