Error: Printing Labels with Images

BKRonline

Postby BKRonline » May 23rd, 2011, 8:52 pm

I can print labels with text only / barcodes.

I can print labels with text and default images.

I cannot print labels with text and imported images (from either 'insert / image' or the source panel).

When I try to print a label with text and a non default image (imported) I get two messages:

Code: Select all

ERROR: syntaxerror
OFFENDING COMMAND: --nostringval--

STACK:

-mark-

#2 About 30 seconds later I get another error message in a different font

ERROR: stackoverflow
OFFENDING COMMAND: get

STACK:

I have no printing issues with any other program.

Mac OS X 10.6.7 (10J869)
Address Book 5.0.3 (883)
Labels and Addresses 1.6 (v451)
Printer: RICOH Aficio SP C420DN

Any ideas?
- BKRonline
Nick

Postby Nick » May 24th, 2011, 5:47 am

Hi BKRonline,

1. Which application generates these messages? Is it a pop-up window or a log? If the first, please post a screen shot of those window (or send it to support@belighsoft.com). If that was a log, post it completely.

2. Send a sample image that causes the problem and the document with this image inserted to our email.

3. Repeat the problem to have error messages added to the console log. Then send this log to me. To save the console log, open the Console application from the Applications/Utilities folder. Choose File > Open Console Log. Then choose File > Save a Copy As in the menu of Console to save the log.

4. What way did you add this image (drag-and-drop from a folder, copy-paste, "Insert > Image > From File" menu ...)?

5. What's the exact step of printing when the message appears? After you have clicked the final Print button?

6. In the system print dialog, try to choose opening the page in the preview instead of actual printing. What happens? Does the page look correctly?

7. Try to do a test print with different images. For example, press Cmd-Shift-3 to save a screenshot. Then add this image to a copy of your document (with no other graphics) and print. Add the test image the same way as you did before.

Nick
BKRonline

Postby BKRonline » May 24th, 2011, 4:32 pm

Nick wrote:1. Which application generates these messages? Is it a pop-up window or a log? If the first, please post a screen shot of those window (or send it to support@belighsoft.com). If that was a log, post it completely.

Application: Labels & Addresses
Neither a pop-up or log, each of the above errors are printed on paper separately.

Nick wrote:2. Send a sample image that causes the problem and the document with this image inserted to our email.

Sent to: support@belightsoft.com

Nick wrote:3. Repeat the problem to have error messages added to the console log. Then send this log to me. To save the console log, open the Console application from the Applications/Utilities folder. Choose File > Open Console Log. Then choose File > Save a Copy As in the menu of Console to save the log.

Sent to: support@belightsoft.com
I don't see any logged errors that are obvious to me from this program.

Nick wrote:4. What way did you add this image (drag-and-drop from a folder, copy-paste, "Insert > Image > From File" menu ...)?

Unsuccessful from: TOOLBAR / Photos button / Aperture (I haven't tried every combination at this point)
Unsuccessful from: MENUBAR / Insert Image / From File...
Successful from: TOOLBAR / default images button / Maps & Flags, American Flag

Nick wrote:5. What's the exact step of printing when the message appears? After you have clicked the final Print button?

Everything seems normal as in any other print job, I press the final print button, the print job icon is seen from apple's dock showing one job, and the printer prints right away. The first print out is of:

STACK:

-mark-

Then about 30 seconds later it prints another page with this error:

ERROR: stackoverflow

STACK:

After the second print, the job is still in queue and only rectified when deleted. The hanging job will delete successfully and if I print something from a web page (in example) the printer is fine and prints normal.

Nick wrote:6. In the system print dialog, try to choose opening the page in the preview instead of actual printing. What happens? Does the page look correctly?

Using "Open PDF in Preview" shows correctly.

Nick wrote:7. Try to do a test print with different images. For example, press Cmd-Shift-3 to save a screenshot. Then add this image to a copy of your document (with no other graphics) and print. Add the test image the same way as you did before.

Unsuccessful: Screenshot produced by Snapz Pro X saved to Desktop, drag and drop to a blank label.

STACK:

-mark-

ERROR: undefined

STACK:

/RPS_WMdict
-dictionary-

Unsuccessful: MENUBAR / Insert Image / From File...

STACK:

-mark-

ERROR: undefined

STACK:

/RPS_WMdict
-dictionary-

Thanks,

EDIT: corrected the support email address
Last edited by BKRonline on May 24th, 2011, 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- BKRonline
Nick

Postby Nick » May 25th, 2011, 3:19 am

BKRonline,

Sorry for mistyping our email address, and thank you for the details.

The error message was generated not by our software but possibly by the printer itself. The most probable is that the image you wish to print is in too high resolution (size). It is larger than 2000x3000 pixels. To print this image on labels, 200x300 pixels must be enough.

To resize the image in Labels & Addresses, double-click on it. Then in the image editing window click the Size button. Make sure that Fix Proportion is activated. Type in desired width or height and click OK. You can also decrease the image size outside Labels & Addresses (don't forget to keep the original high quality copy).

With a smaller image, the printing process will run a bit faster.

Nick
BKRonline

Postby BKRonline » May 26th, 2011, 3:13 pm

SOLVED << If you can edit the title

Nick,

Resizing the image from within the program does work, thanks for the tip. Previously I did resize the image to fit on the label via the graphical bounding box, but having the program create a smaller image in terms of pixels is what made it print without errors.

The user must know to check the size of their image in pixels prior to printing, and if it's above 2000 x 3000 pixels they'll need to double click the image, press the size button, and decrease the size below said pixel count while constraining proportions. After this they can resize graphically using the bounding box and the end product should print fine.

Now that I know this, it's a simple fix, but honestly I'm not sure how many users would find this an obvious thing to check while troubleshooting. My printer can easily handle images of high resolution so it threw me off a bit that nearly every image I would bring in from Aperture or any source really would have to be edited to print correctly.

Thanks for your time.
Last edited by BKRonline on May 26th, 2011, 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- BKRonline
Nick

Postby Nick » May 27th, 2011, 4:23 am

You are right. We'll think what we can do to make such problem less frequent.

Nick

Return to “Labels & Addresses / Mail Factory”