Custom Address Panel Advice

BKRonline

Postby BKRonline » May 19th, 2011, 9:16 pm

Mac OS X 10.6.7 (10J869)
Address Book 5.0.3 (883)
Labels and Addresses 1.6 (v451)

I'm hoping to get a little advice from the experts on what I'm trying to accomplish.

For the most part, the default address panel with 'recipient' and 'name+spouse' works great, until there are two last names for one or both, and when 'partner' is also needed for the same address list.

I've tried to create a custom panel, with some success. The comma isn't supported after the city, but more importantly the previously dynamic 'and' in the stock address panel is not non-dynamic and shows up on every label.

I'd love to be able to drag and drop a long list of addresses and have them print as intended, what I'm looking for is this:

(first name) (last name) (suffix) <<< no spouse or partner

(first name) (last name) (suffix) and (spouse) (partner) (last name) (suffix) <<< spouse or partner with same last name + suffix

(first name) (last name 1) (suffix) and (spouse) (partner) (last name 2) (suffix) <<< spouse or partner with different last name + suffix

(first name) and (spouse) (partner) (last name) <<< spouse or partner with same last name - suffix

(street)
(city), (state) (zip)
(country)

I have hundreds of addresses to print, already spent 4 hours trying different things to make this work in one pass. I'm trying to avoid changing my address book to conform to a labeling program, edit every individual address once inside the labeling program, or manually sorting and separating addresses making lists to print and verify individually later.

Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by BKRonline on May 19th, 2011, 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- BKRonline
Nick

Postby Nick » May 20th, 2011, 5:53 am

Hi BKRonline,

Custom address panels don't support dynamic "and". Also there is no possibility to automatically choose between spouse or partner. We will consider your suggestion when plan new features for Labels & Addresses.

At the moment, I don't see any way to automate your task in Labels & Addresses. Maybe this is possible by using Apple Script.

Nick
BKRonline

Postby BKRonline » May 20th, 2011, 10:06 am

I'll check out the apple script angle, but I'd like to make suggestions for software enhancements.

Make new, default address panel presets that include more or all of the apple address book fields such as 'spouse', 'partner', 'friend', 'child', etc. Making this change would facilitate the following:
- When making an address label, the user would select one of the above default address panels that would work for the majority of their needs for their particular address list. This would also keep the comma after the city field and would be quick and easy to choose and move on with their workflow.
- When print merging (or implemented another way), the user would have the option to modify the labels that need special attention.

Here's a work flow example in my situation, and how I think this may be resolved with software enhancements:

In this situation I am using a Mac and have hundreds of individual address labels to create from our Apple Address Book. We made a new group within the Address Book called "Thank You's" and added contacts to the group to be used within Labels & Addresses. Keep in mind that we have added information to the Address Book contacts such as Apple's default 'middle name', 'suffix', 'spouse', 'partner', 'friend', 'child', etc. We now open Labels & Addresses, choose our address label type, insert the default "Name+Spouse" address panel as this is appropriate for the majority of our needs and we're ready to print. We press 'print', choose 'print merging', create a print list called "Thank You's", choose the source 'Address Book' / Group: "Thank You's", select all and move them over to the print list. Now we have the option to change specific labels based on their needs.

Recall that we're using the default "Name+Spouse", if we have a label that has different last names we end up with, "Jane and John Smith Smithers". What we intended was "Jane Smithers and John Smith". There are no first or last names with the default spouse field in apple address book, so if the spouse has a different last name we will write it all in the spouse field with a space in between, which is why we ended up with, "Jane and John Smith Smithers". No problem! There's now a checkbox titled "Has Different Last Name" that is off by default, but when we turn it on for this label we get "Jane Smithers and John Smith". The checkbox allows the user to toggle where the 'last name' field is arranged per label. This would work the same if there were another default address panel of "Name+Partner" etc.

Continuing with the scenario above, we need to change the 'spouse' field to 'partner' on some labels. This option combined with the "Has Different Last Name" checkbox and we're churning out labels quickly and effectively.

The ability to reorder names, a drop down(?) "Reorder First Names" or(?) "Reorder Different Last Names" would allow the following. We currently have "Jane Smithers and John Smith", checking "Reorder Different Last Names" would produce, "John Smith and Jane Smithers". If we have "John and Jane Smith" and check "Reorder First Names" we now have "Jane and John Smith".

Now all we do is save our list if we like and print with confidence, done.

end of workflow

I hope this makes sense, please let me know what you think.
- BKRonline
Nick

Postby Nick » May 23rd, 2011, 9:55 am

Hi BKRonline,

Thanks for detailed explanation of your idea. At the moment I cannot tell you whether or not we can support in the program all you suggest. The product manager will analyze your workflow and then decide what we can enhance.

Nick
BKRonline

Postby BKRonline » May 27th, 2011, 10:51 am

Work around in my situation.

I made three lists in apple contacts:
1 - singles with one first name and last name, those with a spouse and have the same last name.
2 - those with a spouse with a different last name
3 - those with a partner with a different last name

I then made a label file for one of each of the above lists.

Edit each of the address panels, arranging accordingly.

When print merging, choose the corresponding apple contacts list.
- BKRonline

Return to “Labels & Addresses / Mail Factory”