Choosing between addresses from Address Book

mrtoner

Postby mrtoner » May 19th, 2011, 12:29 pm

I am completely befuddled. I have entries in my Address Book with both home and work addresses. I want to choose the home address to print on an envelope for a particular client, even though the preferred address for this template is the work address.

1) There's no way to change the address on-the-fly. Instead, I'm forced to change the preferred address for the template, marking the template dirty and requiring me to take an extra step or more to print additional envelopes or even quit. I normally print one envelope and then quit (don't most people?), so I'm forced to discard changes in this instance.

2) Changing the preferred address actually does nothing. "home" still shows the work address. Putting an "other" address in Address Book and selecting "other" in L&A doesn't change the address. Selecting "primary" does nothing (is that supposed to select the first address entry from Address Book?).

How do I select a different address?
Nick

Postby Nick » May 20th, 2011, 6:54 am

Hi mrtoner,

1) In the Text tab of the Inspector, you can set Preferred Address to Work, Home or Other. Isn't it "on-the-fly"?

You don't have to quit the program in order to choose another address. It is normal that the program asks you whether or not to save the document after changes. Don't confuse a contact database (Address Book, for instance) with a page layout application (Labels & Addresses, or even any text editor). When you pick and print "work" or "home" address in a database, the contact doesn't change because it contains all these addresses at the same time. When you choose "work" or "home" in Labels & Addresses, you replace the present text with imported. The document turns to "modified".

2) On my computer choosing "work" or "home" does work.

What version of Mac OS and Labels & Addresses do you have?

Please follow these steps:
1. In the Address Book select the contact you wish to print and make sure that there are minimum two different addresses specified (let's say "work" and "home").
2. Open an empty document and add an address panel.
3. Specify the Address Book as the data source, and select the same contact in the left pane as in step 1.
4. In the Text tab of the Inspector, set Preferred Address to Work, and then to Home. Can you see the change?
5. Try steps 3 and 4 with your template. Does the address change?

Nick
mrtoner

Postby mrtoner » May 20th, 2011, 9:40 am

"1) In the Text tab of the Inspector, you can set Preferred Address to Work, Home or Other. Isn't it "on-the-fly"?"

Not really. First, because you're changing the design of the template by doing so, and, second, because that change marks the document dirty (modified) and changes need to be saved or discarded.

If I'm printing another envelope for another contact, I have to change the preferred address back, since I made a change to the template. If I'm simply printing that one envelope, when I quit L&A I have to tell the app to discard or save changes.

If, instead, a separate popup menu in the main window changed the address and that change was not to the template, but only to the data displayed and printed through the template, one or more steps could be eliminated. Several of your competitors in this space work this way and it's become expected behavior for me.

(I should mention that opening the Inspector -- if necessary -- and selecting the delivery address panel are two additional steps.)

I'm running version 1.6 on 10.6.7. I followed your steps, found that they worked as they should -- then found that my initial template started behaving. Very odd!

What exactly determines what is the Primary address? If I had to guess, it would be the first address entered in Address Book. However, AB makes it difficult to know, because it actually displays the addresses in a different order.
Nick

Postby Nick » May 23rd, 2011, 9:38 am

"Not really. First, because you're changing the design of the template by doing so, and, second, because that change marks the document dirty (modified) and changes need to be saved or discarded."
The document contains only one of several alternative addresses of the selected person. Changing the telephone number from work to home is equivalent to modifying the document content.

"If, instead, a separate popup menu in the main window changed the address and that change was not to the template, but only to the data displayed and printed through the template, one or more steps could be eliminated. Several of your competitors in this space work this way and it's become expected behavior for me."
In fact, when you choose a template, the main window opens not this template but its copy.

If you wish to reduce the number of steps to select work or home address, create custom shortcuts. I did this successfully with version 1.6 on 10.6.7. My test shortcuts were Cmd-Ctrl-Alt-W for "work", and Cmd-Ctrl-Alt-H for "home". You can add custom shortcuts in the Keyboard section of the system preferences.

"What exactly determines what is the Primary address? If I had to guess, it would be the first address entered in Address Book. However, AB makes it difficult to know, because it actually displays the addresses in a different order."
Yes, the Address Book doesn't indicate the Primary address in an obvious manner. According to my experience, the order of "home" and "work" addresses may differ. The one displayed first in the contact editing mode is Primary.

Nick

Return to “Labels & Addresses / Mail Factory”