Bleed and Crop marks

DavidW

Bleed and Crop marks

Postby DavidW » October 2nd, 2015, 2:53 pm

As a new user of Swift Publisher 4.0.1, I am trying to set up Bleeds and Cut Marks for an A3 document.

If I start with an A3 document size and A3 image size, Export as PDF, select 10mm bleeds (to make it more obvious) and include Cut Marks, the resulting PDF page size has increased in size to 440 x 317 as expected, but the image is unchanged at A3, there is a 10mm white border all round and the crop marks line up with the corners of the A3 size image.

The page size and cut marks are OK, but the image has not been resized and does not bleed over the edge of the A3 page. Is this the way that the Bleed command is supposed to work, or am I missing something? Do I need to increase the image size and document size to get the bleed. If so, what is the point of the Bleed command?
axys

Re: Bleed and Crop marks

Postby axys » October 3rd, 2015, 10:07 am

Bleed isn't a command as such - it effectively sets an additional margin to the document size - it is up to you to extend anything into the bleed area that you want to run to the edge of the A3 paper size. You print past the line so that the printer can cut it on the line (set by the crop marks). So, keep standard size and extend your artwork into the bleed area if you want it cut sharp up to the edge. Bleeds are normally 3mm. This all assumes you are outputting pdf's to send to a print shop.
SP user for 11 years --- v2, 3, 4, 5.0.6 --- Mac OS 10.11.6 --- iMac Retina 5k 27" late 2015
DavidW

Re: Bleed and Crop marks

Postby DavidW » October 6th, 2015, 11:47 am

Thanks axys for the prompt reply. It wasn't clear to me what Bleed did and how much I had to do myself. That makes sense now, so I will give it a go.

Return to “Swift Publisher”