writhe a book?

hgkleffi

writhe a book?

Postby hgkleffi » August 9th, 2014, 3:22 pm

Hi there,

can someone tell me whether you can write a book of about 400 pages with the program. Or does not it!

Thanks for answers

hgkleffi
Nick

Re: writhe a book?

Postby Nick » August 11th, 2014, 2:38 am

Hi,

We tested Swift Publisher with only a couple hundred pages just to make sure it is stable. You can either search for a program that is intended for writing large documents, or, if you decide to use Swift Publisher, split your book into 40-50 page parts putting each in a separate file. The second way won't let you export the whole book as a single PDF what may cause some difficulties in the future.

Nick
hgkleffi

Postby hgkleffi » August 11th, 2014, 3:19 pm

Hi there,

thanks for the info. I have the program and I am very satisfied and would like to have no other program. It is very nice to work with. Fun!

So it is better to make a file for each chapter, I understand you correctly.

How many pages they have tested in a file?

Greeting hgkleffi
Nick

Postby Nick » August 12th, 2014, 4:44 am

Hi,

One of test documents included 150 pages with about a dozen of images from the clipart.

Also I've found my own document with 115 pages and more than 90 relatively small images. It was created using Swift Publisher 2. For a test, I typed a paragraph of text, added an image and exported the document to PDF with no problems.

If you decide using Swift Publisher for a 400 page book, please consider this:
- Control the number and amount of images. Make them as small as possible before adding to your document.
Bad example: You add a original photo taken from a 5-7 Megapixel camera, and resize it in your document to 2 inches per side keeping all those pixels. The resulting resolution becomes more than 1500 dpi what is 3-4 times more than needed for high quality printing.
Good example: You estimate the image size for 300dpi (what can be requested by a print shop). Needed side size is 300dpi * 2in = 600 pixels. Make a copy of the photo, reduce the bigger side size to 600 pixels and then add the picture to your document.

- If a lot of images are going to be added to the document, control its size. Big documents (let's say 100 MB and greater) may slow down the program response. The size very depends on images used.

- Make backup copies of your document (manually, or using Time Machine or any other utility). This concerns not only Swift Publisher's but documents of any program that are in work for long time.

Nick
Ragnemalm

Postby Ragnemalm » August 29th, 2014, 7:42 am

I have tried using SP for writing books, but as far as I tried it did not quite cut it. The big problem is its inability to create new pages with the same text flow. It has to be manually connected and placed for every page. That gets pretty tedious for 400 pages.

If this has improved, will be improved, or works better with PrintWorks (of which I know nothing) I would be interested to learn more. So far, I have used Swift Publisher for a 32-page booklet, which is was perfectly decent for, but I would like to go beyond that.

Return to “Swift Publisher”