How can I install my own PDF workflows ?

wkpeter

How can I install my own PDF workflows ?

Postby wkpeter » June 30th, 2014, 6:30 am

I just downloaded the demo of swift publisher (I am currently looking for an alternative to Adobe Indesign).

I found a few posts about CMYK workflows, and decided to try and compare what I could achieve with Swift Publisher compared to Indesign.

I have successfully created a few Quartz filters with the colorsync utility, and they do show up in the Print window under the PDF button in Swift Publisher. But I cannot get them to show up in the export dialog under the PDF Workflow.

Inside the colorsync utility I have checked all 3 checkboxes under the domains tab (printing, applications and workflow).

Can anyone help me and tell me how I can add my own PDF workflows to the export dialog ?

As an additional question, it seems the above method of creating CMYK documents is not the preferred way to go about. Why is that ? Is there a quality loss when going through Quartz filters at the output stage ?
I am not willing to convert RGB images to CMYK prior to starting a layout. I have come accustomed to the way it is currently done in Indesign, create the layout without thinking to much about color spaces and then convert to the right color space at the output stage.
wkpeter

Re: How can I install my own PDF workflows ?

Postby wkpeter » June 30th, 2014, 6:35 am

Ok disregard my first question, I found the solution.
For anyone having the same problem. The custom filters are saved inside the users library folder, but they should reside in the system's library folder.

Still I'd love to hear some thoughts about my second question. Is quartz up to the task to create decent output ?
Nick

Re: How can I install my own PDF workflows ?

Postby Nick » July 1st, 2014, 3:57 am

Hi,

We used to suggest the Quartz filter when this filter was present among others by default. I cannot tell you anything about the quality loss because we didn't research this. Also the result depends very much from the images used in your document, and from settings you make in the Quartz filter.

Nick

Return to “Swift Publisher”