OSX Mavericks

Nick

Postby Nick » October 30th, 2013, 5:36 am

irishwolfhound and fonetico:

Please do this:
1. Try to export a new blank and non-blank (template, for instance) document to a TIFF file. Choose the same folder to save it as you had for PDF.
2. Check if the printing procedure lets you create a PDF. To do this, choose File > Print. In the Print dialog, click on the PDF button and choose Save as PDF.
3. Send your computer profile to support@belightsoft.com
To save it, run the System Information utility located in the Applications/Utilities folder. Select File > Save…
4. Try to export a new blank and non-blank document to PDF from a new user account. You can create and delete them using the System Preferences panel, User & Groups section.
5. Repeat the problem with exporting PDF. Let the program work for a minute. Then in the Apple menu select Force Quit to stop Swift Publisher. As a rule, a window opens up with a hang log. Please send this log to us.

I was unable to repeat the problem on MacBook Pro 2007 and 2009. So only your experiments can help to find out why the export feature doesn't work.

Nick
fonetico

Postby fonetico » October 30th, 2013, 6:16 am

Nick,

Unfortunately I don't have time to follow all of your instructions at this precise moment. However, I can say that Save as PDF in the print dialogue seems to work fine.

This info may be useful to irishwolfhound as I understand they have some urgent work for the printshop.

But I'll try your other suggestions a little later.

Regards
Nick

Postby Nick » October 30th, 2013, 6:29 am

Hi fonetico,

It can help if you tell how Mavericks was installed on each of two computers you tried. I mean, the operating system was updated or it was installation on an empty drive.

Thank for your assistance.

Nick
irishwolfhound

Postby irishwolfhound » October 30th, 2013, 6:40 am

dear nick!

point 1-3 is done and sent.

with new user PDF export works.

now i have to find out what's wrong with standard user account …

best wishes,
irishwolfhound
Nick

Postby Nick » October 30th, 2013, 7:06 am

Thank you for this information! Maybe there is something to do with incorrect Swift Publisher setting.

On your working account, try to remove Swift Publisher preferences file. Copy this path:
~/Library/Containers/com.belightsoft.SwiftPublisher3.appStore/Data/Library/Preferences/com.belightsoft.SwiftPublisher3.appStore.plist
In Finder, select Go Go to Folder and paste. Click on Go.

Move this file
com.belightsoft.SwiftPublisher3.appStore.plist
to your Desktop. Then try to export to PDF. If it works, please send the file above to us for examination.

Note that removing the preferences file returns the program to default settings.

Nick
irishwolfhound

Postby irishwolfhound » October 30th, 2013, 7:15 am

you are welcome, thank you for quick help to do my job in time.

irishwolfhound
Nick

Postby Nick » October 30th, 2013, 7:21 am

Please try to remove the preferences file as described above in post #20.

Nick
irishwolfhound

Postby irishwolfhound » October 30th, 2013, 8:16 am

Nick wrote:Please try to remove the preferences file as described above in post #20.

Nick

did like written in #20 but it still don't work. do you want the old pref-file anyway?

best wishes,
irishwolfhound with an very nasty iMac …

p.s.: relax, with your workaround i managed it to finish the printjob.
Nick

Postby Nick » October 30th, 2013, 9:13 am

I don't need your preferences file since removing it didn't change the situation.

Nick
fonetico

Postby fonetico » October 30th, 2013, 11:46 am

Hi Nick,

I can confirm that logging on as a Guest solves the issue for me too.
fonetico

Postby fonetico » October 30th, 2013, 11:52 am

Forgot to add that Mavericks was an update on all my computers.

Is there any point in me trying all your workaround suggestions or is that redundant now that irishwolfhound has already tried it?
fonetico

Postby fonetico » October 30th, 2013, 12:16 pm

Also forgot to add that I tried #20 to be told "Folder not found." And I can't see any belightsoft preference file in the Library.

Where should I be looking?
irishwolfhound

Postby irishwolfhound » October 30th, 2013, 2:33 pm

fonetico wrote:Also forgot to add that I tried #20 to be told "Folder not found." And I can't see any belightsoft preference file in the Library.

Where should I be looking?

i can add that installation of download version (instead of app store version) didn't solve the problem, too. in all this trial and error i deleted the prefs and can't find them now, too …

i quit for today, maybe there is a new idea tomorrow after restart from my computer and brain … ;-)

irishwolfhound
Nick

Postby Nick » October 31st, 2013, 7:45 am

fonetico:

Also forgot to add that I tried #20 to be told "Folder not found." And I can't see any belightsoft preference file in the Library.

You must have downloaded the program from our website while a copy of irishwolfhound was downloaded from App Store. These two editions use different folders to store their content. The path valid on your computer is:
~/Library/Preferences/com.belightsoft.SwiftPublisher3.appStore.plist

Since removing the preferences didn't help irishwolfhound, I don't think this will solve the problem on your computer, but it is worth to try anyway.

If on your computer, Swift Publisher can export from a new user account, than we could say that the problem is caused by the same thing.

irishwolfhound and fonetico:

The possibility to export using a new user account suggests that the problem may be caused not (or not only) by a bug in Swift Publisher, but by the environment (some software our program interacts with during exporting).

New questions:
1. Can you export to TIFF and EPS a new empty document? Before exporting, save this document, close and reopen.
2. Can Preview.app save as PDF some raster image?
3. If you have any software that starts up automatically in your working account and doesn't in the test account, this software may make difference in work of Swift Publisher. I mean first of all programs related to graphic software and disk utilities (since an exported PDF should be saved on the hard disk).

Nick
fonetico

Postby fonetico » October 31st, 2013, 9:30 am

So Nick, what can I say?

I've tried all your suggestions and there don't appear to be any problems. The only Start Up item was iTunesHelper which I deleted. I've also disabled all the additional fonts I'd installed. Still no joy unfortunately!

Interestingly, I still can't find a preference file anywhere. Very strange. Is it because I'm using a trial version?

I've even tried looking at Activity Monitor but I've no idea whether it's relevant or what I should be looking for.

Back to you for inspiration.

Return to “Swift Publisher”