round border table

sarunea

Postby sarunea » October 23rd, 2013, 9:27 am

Hello,
How can i insert a table with round corners like the "curve" option of smart shape?
Thank you

S
Last edited by sarunea on October 23rd, 2013, 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Postby Nick » October 23rd, 2013, 2:35 pm

Hi sarunea,

Swift Publisher doesn't have such an option. And I'm afraid I cannot remember any program that creates rounded tables. Thechnically, you can hide the outer frame of the table and place a rounded rectangle instead. But this will complicate further editing of the table content because you will have to adjust this rounded border manually.

Nick
sarunea

Postby sarunea » October 23rd, 2013, 3:45 pm

thank you for the answer !
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » October 24th, 2013, 7:52 am

Hi all
Here's an example of a table with rounded corners:

This is made with two objects:
#1. A table;
#2. A smart shape (rounded rectangle).

As you can see, there're several limitations:
- you can't activate borders to the table (not sure, there's a way to activate only "inner" borders),
- using fill color for rows is impossible for some rows, at least the first and last one (look at the last row in the screenshot).
JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 3.06GHz
http://belightcommunity.free.fr/BeLight Community website
Nick

Postby Nick » October 28th, 2013, 5:24 am

One more way to create a rounded table is to convert it into an image and insert into a smart shape. The main disadvantage of this method is that you need to keep its original copy of the table to be able to edit data. Another disadvantage is that text in the table becomes raster.

Basic steps:
1. Complete your table.
2. Add a Rounded Rectangle atop of the table and adjust its size (to match the table size) and corner radius.
3. If some text in the table is cut by the rounded corner, select the table and increase the Inset Margin in the Text tab of Inspector. Or decrease the corner radius.
4. Move the rectangle off the table.
5. Copy the table. Open Preview.app and choose File > New from Clipboard (Cmd-N). From now, your table is a picture. Save the table as PDF.
6. Drag the PDF from Finder and drop onto the selected rectangle in Swift Publisher.
7. If the outer frame of the table is visible, right-click on the rectangle with the table inside, and choose Crop in the context menu. Drag red handles on the sides towards the center of the rectangle.

Nick

Return to “Swift Publisher”