Better quote marks

mikec964

Postby mikec964 » August 5th, 2013, 2:58 pm

I often wind up editing and even writing copy in Publisher, and it would look better with curly quotation marks.

For example, instead of Joe's house, I'd like Joe’s house. Instead of typing the quote key, I type option+shift+]. (It appears to have been rendered incorrectly on my screen here on the web, but in Swift Publisher it produces a much better looking curly quote.)

Another example would be "hello", typed using the quote keys, and “hello”, typed using option+[ and option+shift+[.

There's a System Preference called Substitutions that will automatically fill these in. This link explains it:
http://support.iawriter.com/help/kb/mac-questions/how-can-i-get-curly-quotes-on-the-mac

This helps on many applications, but not Swift Publisher. Is this something that is likely to be enabled in a future release?

Thanks!
Nick

Postby Nick » August 6th, 2013, 3:11 am

Hi mikec964,

Thanks for your suggestion. I've added it to our list of requested improvements.

Nick
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » August 6th, 2013, 5:03 am

Hi all
Strangely, it seems to be working for me (at least for French quotes: « and » (10.7.x)).
Are you sure that substitutions settings are correct?

Displaying the contextual menu from a text box:

Settings substitutions from the Display substitutions menu item (Afficher les substitutions):
(guillemets courbes = curly quotes)
This way, quotes are substituted when typing but you may also select some text then apply substitutions to this selection.
Hope this helps.
JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 3.06GHz
http://belightcommunity.free.fr/BeLight Community website
Nick

Postby Nick » August 6th, 2013, 6:57 am

Jean-Jacques,

Thanks for your comment. I've forgotten to search for the Substitutions feature in the context menu (checked only the Edit menu).

Nick
mikec964

Postby mikec964 » August 17th, 2013, 4:33 pm

Thanks Jean-Jacques! I also checked only the Edit menu.

It would be nice, for the sake of usability, if this were visible in the Edit menu. Also, because it is in the context menu, you have to re-enable it for each text box. I'd love to be able to change the default setting at the Edit menu.
Nick

Postby Nick » August 18th, 2013, 9:34 am

mikec964,

Turning the ligature on/off is a standard feature. This is why it should be located in the standard place.

Nick
mikec964

Postby mikec964 » August 18th, 2013, 8:54 pm

It's in the Edit menu in Text Edit, and Safari, so I thought that was the standard place. Either way, I'm glad to find this works. Thanks for the tip and a program that hits the sweet spot between features and ease of use.
Nick

Postby Nick » August 19th, 2013, 2:30 am

Sorry, it's my mistake.

I have added your request to our list of improvements.

Nick

Return to “Swift Publisher”