Create Clip Art in SP2?

Gregman

Postby Gregman » July 15th, 2013, 9:38 am

Can I create my own Clip Art images in Swift Publisher 2? I need to create small logos for imbedding in websites and printed publications.
Nick

Postby Nick » July 15th, 2013, 10:15 am

Hi Gregman,

You can create a logo using Swift Publisher.

Also think about Art Text that could be more helpful for creation logos and graphics for the web sites:
http://www.belightsoft.com/products/arttext/overview.php

Nick
Gregman

Postby Gregman » July 15th, 2013, 10:28 am

I have created a "logo", using text and shapes, and want to be able to place it anywhere, and resize it like clip art. I can't seem to find the way to do this. What function am I missing?
Nick

Postby Nick » July 16th, 2013, 1:32 am

What behaviour do you expect from an image when you "resize it like clip art"? In the clip art of Swift publisher there are regular images. Did you mean resize without pixellation (quality loss)?

Nick
Gregman

Postby Gregman » July 16th, 2013, 9:19 am

I guess I did not understand at the time that clip art is really just small pictures that can be resized. I wondered if SP2 could create a "Clip art image" from art I had created. I ended up creating a logo, then scanning it. I am still trying to figure this part of computing out, as I now need to make the images smaller, and crop them perfectly to place anywhere, like the other clip art images.
Nick

Postby Nick » July 16th, 2013, 1:09 pm

The clip art of SP consists of pairs of images: the original that appears in a document when you add it, and a small preview (also calles thumbnail) that is shown in the left panel.

If you need to create a preview from your original, you can open it in an image editor such as Image Tricks or in Preview, and set up smaller size. IMPORTANT: save the smaller version as a new file to keep the original unchanged.

If you need something different, it could be helpful if you give steps on how you are going to use the created logo in SP or other software.

Nick
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » July 17th, 2013, 9:47 am

Hi all
Gregman, logos/cliparts (this is not exactly the same thing, yet) are best created with vector tools/applications. This is the best way to ensure that you will be able to resize them (making them larger or smaller) without loss of details. It is also easier to get bitmap/raster images for web (jpeg, png) or even for print (tiff or jpeg) at different sizes and/or resolutions. Note that using tiff/jpeg logo for print materials has to be avoided most of the time, especially if you can use vector (pdf, eps) version of your logo.
You may do this simple test:
#1. Create a "logo" with SP (with smart shapes or Bézier curve tool) or with AT.
#2. Export it using PDF format.
#3. Export the same logo using jpeg format.
#4. Open them in Preview
#4. Zoom in each image and see what happens: the more you zoom in the jpeg version, the more you get a pixelated image. This is not the case with the vector version (pdf).

So, say I've created a logo using AT (I think that AT is, for this particular situation, best suited than SP).
This logo was made using a 512 * 512 pixels document and was exported using the PDF format.
Once opened in Preview, I can see that this is a 7,11 inches (18,07 cm) square PDf document (512 / 72 = 7,11).
Great ;^) but how can I get different sizes at different resolutions at different formats?
Here're two different (easy) ways:
#1. Using Preview:
It is easy to select any format (tiff, jpeg…) from the Save panel but how to get the right size (say 1024 * 1024 pixels) and the right resolution (say 72 or 300 dpi)?
This is a two steps task:
Firstly, getting the right size:
To get a 1024 * 1024 pixels image from a 7;11 inches pdf document, you have to do a little math:
1024 / 7,11 = 144. So set the resolution to 144 dpi then export your document

Once opened in Preview, you can see that this is a 1024 * 1024 pixels image with a 144 dpi resolution.
Not a big surprise as there are the settings used when exporting this image.
But how to get a 72 dpi (or anything else, say 300) resolution?
This is the second (and so, the last one ;^)) step:
Select the Adjust Size… menu item from the Tools menu (of Preview)
Be sure to uncheck the Resample Image checkbox then adjust the resolution to the wished value (here 72 dpi):

Note that, as the Resample Image… option is not used, the image will not be recalculated (no loss of details).
Save it and you now have a 1024 * 1024 pixels image at a 72 dpi resolution:
Two last remarks about this Preview method:
This always produces a RGB image with an Adobe RGB (1998) color profile.
Images produces this way are always opaque, alpha channel is lost even when exporting to tiff (or png). This is not a problem when exporting to jpeg as jpeg images can't be transparent, yet.

#2. Using Image Tricks
Open the pdf document in IT, choose File>Export…, select the wished format, the wished size (Options… button) then export the image.
Three major differences when using IT vs. Preview: alpha channel (transparency) is preserved by IT when using tiff, png formats; none color profile is added by IT (this may be fixed with Preview, yet); images are always exported with a 72 DPI resolution (this can be fixed in Preview, too).

A last remark: don't be afraid by this (so long) explanation! ;^)
This is really simpler than it seems.
Make some tests with SP vs. AT and with IT vs. Preview and choose the best way for you.
JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 3.06GHz
http://belightcommunity.free.fr/BeLight Community website
Gregman

Postby Gregman » July 17th, 2013, 11:18 am

Thanks for the info! I will try this when I get time. Greg

Return to “Swift Publisher”