CMYK

jcolome

Postby jcolome » June 6th, 2013, 11:05 am

stuck with a very urgent question - sorry :-(

I have been given the task of creating a postcard and they want the resolution or final output to be in CMYK

How do I accomplish this ?

Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

JC
Nick

Postby Nick » June 6th, 2013, 1:44 pm

Hi

There are two ways.

For a TIFF file with CMYK colors, you need to click on the Options button in the Export dialog and choose CMYK.

To create a CMYK PDF, you need to use only CMYK images in your document and apply colors using only CMYK color palette. If any object is RGB, the resulting PDF document will be considered as RGB.

This subject was discussed in the forum many times. You can search for more details in other topics.

Nick
jcolome

Postby jcolome » June 6th, 2013, 2:49 pm

what is considered a CMYK image ? and apply colors using only CMYK color pallete - you los me.
jcolome

Postby jcolome » June 6th, 2013, 3:18 pm

thanks for your help though - i'll do more research
Nick

Postby Nick » June 7th, 2013, 1:44 am

1. what is considered a CMYK image ?

It is what you were asked to create. To check the color model of an image, open it in the Preview.app and choose Tools > Show Inspector (Cmd-I). On Mac OS 10.8, the needed details are on the More Info Inspector tab, in the General section.

All clipart images are RGB.

2. To choose a CMYK color, you need to switch to CMYK Sliders in the standard Colors pane, and use these sliders to adjust colors. The picture in the post below can give you an idea on where the sliders are located:
http://www.belightsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=305

Nick
Magicdesign

Postby Magicdesign » October 12th, 2013, 11:32 pm

It makes no sense to me why you don't have a cmyk conversion in the export to pdf. Anyone designing brochures and other offline materials needs this.

You also have the capability to convert as you offer this function for tiff files.

I am unable to use this software seriously until this feature is added.
Magicdesign

Postby Magicdesign » October 12th, 2013, 11:35 pm

And your solution which is to use other software to convert images to cmyk first would be massively time consuming.

For the original poster, a short term solution is to use Preview. Preview actually allows you to open a pdf and then save it as cmyk using color sync filters. Not much use on a larger scale (like my magazine) but a solution none the less.

You could also consider a proper dtp suite like scribus for mac, which is free but able to produce press ready cmyk files.
Last edited by Magicdesign on October 12th, 2013, 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » October 13th, 2013, 9:47 am

Hi Magicdesign
This is just my own (and humble) opinion, but I think that you're very hard about SP capabilities to produce (or not produce) PDF in CMYK color mode.
As you certainly know, converting RGB colors to CMYK ones is a difficult task:
- Some RGB colors are out of CMYK gamut (in particular some bright blue colors)
- How to manage rich-black(s) from RGB?
- […]
I don't expect from a 18 € application that it provides the same level/kind of functionalities than Adobe Acrobat Pro.
Adding a (too) basic conversion tool should be certainly useless in most cases (the same way I find useless exporting to TIFF/JPEG CMYK files w/o an embedded color profile).
Designing SP documents working with CMYK colors and images is not so difficult (with a few limits, yet). I've always got great results working this way.
Scribus is maybe more "powerful" but it's just a horrid piece of software (in term of user interface) specially from a Mac user point of view (one more time imho).
JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 3.06GHz
http://belightcommunity.free.fr/BeLight Community website
Magicdesign

Postby Magicdesign » October 13th, 2013, 2:11 pm

I use page plus which is low cost and they do an excellent job of cmyk conversion.
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » October 13th, 2013, 4:43 pm

Hi Magicdesign
You're right and… you're wrong (imho as usual):
You're right about PagePlus (PagePlus X7 from Serif): an impressive set of features including a PDF editor.
But you're wrong about low cost: 100 € is not 15 €. It's certainly low when comparing to InDesign but not when comparing to SP.
Customers that buy a 15 € page layout application are not necessary ready to spend 100 €.
However, there's certainly a place for a kind of Adobe Acrobat light, maybe w/o the form functionalities.
Magicdesign

Postby Magicdesign » October 13th, 2013, 5:51 pm

Page plus always discount. I picked up x7 for $60usd

And $60 for usable software is better than $10 for incomplete software.
Last edited by Magicdesign on October 14th, 2013, 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » October 15th, 2013, 6:41 am

Hi Magicdesign

Of course, from a customer/user point of view, it's better to get an application with more and more (and more) features (like powerful PDF export, ePub export, html export (hum no, forget this one;^))). It would be even better if this app was free!

But from a developer/publisher point of view, it's slightly different.
I'm not speaking in place of the BeLight team (no, I don't ;^)) and they (BeLight) may have a completely different point of view but publishing a 100 € page layout app would certainly require a lot of work to justify this price:
- better text styles management
- real headers/footers
- automatic table of contents generation
- two pages spread view
- […]

Also, it seems that most SP users don't care about CMYK colors, spot colors, PDF-X…
They print their SP documents with their inkjet printers and they enjoy the results, simply.
This certainly "hurts" more professional users like you (and me, to tell the truth) but this is the reality.

Don't forget that you may also use ColorSync and Quartz filters:
http://www.ehow.com/how_12186371_apply-quartz-filter-pdf.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ColorSync

I propose that this closes this topic (after your own answer, of course).
Best regards
Magicdesign

Postby Magicdesign » October 16th, 2013, 12:32 am

It seems that I and others were under the impression that this was a professional dtp package. If you read over the website, I think you will agree that this is how it is positioned too.

false advertising some might suggest.
axys

Postby axys » October 16th, 2013, 3:20 am

I've used SP for hundreds of high quality professionally printed posters, booklets and magazines. The issue of RGB/CMYK has never really come up - I use very good printer shops who do some pre-press magic and deliver the product from my normal pdf's. For a while we had issues and used TIFF's, but if I remember that was something to do with the way Preview output pdf's. So, JJ is correct in that I don't (need to) care about CMYK colors, spot colors, PDF-X… because I take the view in life that some things are best left to the professionals.
SP user for 11 years --- v2, 3, 4, 5.0.6 --- Mac OS 10.11.6 --- iMac Retina 5k 27" late 2015
Magicdesign

Postby Magicdesign » October 16th, 2013, 4:59 am

Great. Just let the original poster know that they are imagining their issues and perhaps you can provide them with the phone number of the printers you used who put extra work in to convert colours for you.

A brilliant solution.

Return to “Swift Publisher”