Pantone and SP3

marcoborghesi

Postby marcoborghesi » May 31st, 2013, 2:07 am

I know first of all that the Spot Picker plug-in work just in 32 bit mode. So.
I'm emailing in this period with Barney that make the plug in and try to understand if he would like to make a 64 bit version of his plug-in as i think we could all appreciate to work in 64 bit mode and not in 32 like me to use his plug.

This is his last reply:

Hi Marco,

Unfortunately, it's not as simple as 32bit/64bit: I recompiled it for 64bit years ago, but that doesn't help, because the system won't load it. When I first wrote Spot Picker there was a standard method for adding third-party colour pickers to the system: put them in the right place, and they would load. But people complained that third-party plugins were causing instabilities, so Apple made it harder and harder to load them, and with the move to 64bit, the old method was completely disabled. I'm sure it would be possible to get Spot Picker to work somehow, but I don't know how to do it. It would be a lot of work searching for a way to make it load, and I would only sell a very small number of copies. Then, next system update, the same thing might happen again.

Really, the only two ways forward are either for Apple to build it into the system, or for developers to build it into their applications. I would be happy to sell the source code to anyone who wants it.

Sorry not to be more helpful.

Barney."

So. in my opinion ... could be the possibility that the team/software house think about it ...
This is just and advice ... but in my opinion if you want to get more in help to lot of freelance that can't afford no more (like me for example) to Adobe expensive cloud and any new expensive idea ... get the real Pantone swatches could be really amazing.

Marco
Nick

Postby Nick » May 31st, 2013, 8:07 am

Hi Marco,

Thanks for these details. I've passed this information to our product manager.

Nick
marcoborghesi

Postby marcoborghesi » May 31st, 2013, 11:52 am

Very welcome for some reasons.
1. i think SP3 could get a step to be good for AMAT and PRO
2. Should be look at the market and see how to improve it
3. SP3 has lots and lots of potential
4. It can't be compare to ID or Xpress but like Pixelmator team is doing with it's amazing software, SP3 could be a good contender in it's way
5. looking at Scribus could be good to understand how PRO/Freelance work to give them a real alternative to expensive Software

M
polygon

Postby polygon » February 17th, 2014, 6:59 am

Hi, I recently purchased SP3 and I'm very pleased with the software. I'm a freelancer working mostly on web design but from time to time I work for a local print shop. I would really love to see spot colors inside SP3 and If by any chance there is a workaround I would love to know.

thanks
Nick

Postby Nick » February 17th, 2014, 8:19 am

Hi polygon,

We have no plans to add spot colors to our program. You can use any third party software that can add its palette to the standard Colors pane.

Nick

Return to “Swift Publisher”