Disappearing Images

izzy

Postby izzy » April 5th, 2013, 7:58 pm

Whenever I increase the viewing size of a document (e.g. 75% to 100%, etc.) the images in my document disappear. Until now, I have been able to work around this major inconvenience by closing the document and reopening it—the images always reappear. But today when the same problem occurred, I continued to work on my document, edited some of the text (which is never affected by this problem), clicked save, closed the document and reopened it in order to have the images reappear, only to find that all the images had disappeared for good. The images that disappear are inserted files that are either .jpg, .png. or .eps although some of the images from the Swift Publisher template I have used have also disappeared. Is there a way to restore my images? Can this problem be avoided in the future? Please advise.
Nick

Postby Nick » April 6th, 2013, 3:48 am

Hi izzy,

The images are saved inside the document bundle. To check if they are there, right-click on the document in Finder and choose Show Package Contents. If there is no images, the lost graphics can be restored only by adding it to the document again. Depending on what has happened to your document, it may work if you copy the images you used right into the bundle.

Before any manipulation a with your document, compress it in Finder ho create a backup copy. Also, please send a copy of your file to support@belightsoft.com providing the link to this topic. We will try to find out what caused the problem and if there are any possibility to restore the missing images.

What version of Swift Publisher and Mac OS are on your computer?
While you were working in Swift Publisher, did you run any hard drive utilities that remove temporary files, clean cashes or do something else with the file system?

Nick
izzy

Postby izzy » April 9th, 2013, 6:48 am

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your quick reply. I did what you suggested and looked to see if the images were inside the document bundle. The only file that appeared was “doc.thread” so I guess everything was lost. Since I last wrote, I have added all the images back as I needed the document urgently (although while doing so I had the same problem occur again, this time only with the .eps files).

I am running what I assume to be the newest version of Swift Publisher 3 since I just purchased it two weeks ago (3.2 v537) but this problem of disappearing images is continuous and have had it occur in other documents as well. My MacBook Pro is running 10.6.8. I was not running any hard drive utilities.

Thanks again for your help.
Nick

Postby Nick » April 9th, 2013, 8:11 am

If this problem repeats again, please send your console log to support@belightsoft.com The log should be saved as soon as possible. Otherwise the older messages can be overwritten by newer. To save the log, open the Console application from the Applications/Utilities folder. Choose "All Messages" in the left panel. Then choose File > Save a Copy As in the menu of Console to save the log.

We are working on a new version which will better cope with this problem.

Nick
izzy

Postby izzy » April 9th, 2013, 10:24 pm

Hi Nick,

The problem just occurred again and I have sent a copy of my console log to the email address you provided. Thanks again.
Nick

Postby Nick » April 10th, 2013, 2:27 am

Thanks, I've received your log. The programmers will examine it soon. Meantime, please check your drive for file system errors. They can cause problems like you have. Open Disk Utility from the Applications/Utilities folder. Select your system volume. Click on the Verify Disk button. When the process is finished, click on Repair Disk Permissions. If the Swift Publisher document is saved on a non-system drive, verify it too. If any errors are found, please let me know.

Nick
Nick

Postby Nick » April 10th, 2013, 6:01 am

Your log suggests that you attempted to print or export from Swift Publisher and this function didn't work. Can you remember:
- What did you do exactly and the used settings?
- Were all images present in the document?

Nick
izzy

Postby izzy » April 10th, 2013, 9:47 am

I ran the Verify Disk and it said “the volume Macintoch HD appears to be OK.” I also ran Repair Disk Permissions as you suggested.

Last night I exported my project to PDF but I don’t remember having any problems with that--the file exported fine (although I have had problems in the past with exporting and SP gives me an error warning after which I have to close the application and begin again). The problems occurred while working with SP itself, the images disappearing when I tried to import a new image from file. Also, like I said before, the same problem often occurs when I increase the document viewing size. Sometimes it also occurs while flipping through the pages of the document. If I click where the image used to be, the image’s square border (sorry, don’t know the technical term for that) will appear and I can move it around, but it is empty. All the images on the page I will be working on will disappear and some images, but not all, from other pages (it seems to mostly affect .png files). Usually, the problem is rectified by closing the application and starting it up again. Thanks again.
Nick

Postby Nick » April 11th, 2013, 4:11 am

Thanks for these details.

Nick
lutherfan

Postby lutherfan » April 11th, 2013, 5:51 am

Just happened to me for at least the second time... this time it was a very unfortunate thing and I was going to have a LOT of work to do to restore the images... and THEN I decided to check my Time Machine - and BINGO! The files that were not there in the "Show Package Contents" finder window showed up!
sl567

Postby sl567 » April 20th, 2013, 11:59 am

I am having a similar problem. In addition to the things Izzy posted, my images (only .eps so far) disappear when I copy and paste them. I see the resize handles but no image. I have to re-insert the image. The even weirder thing that happened to me today was that I printed a document that had the same image repeated 12 times and half of them printed, but the other half didn't. They all appear on the screen just fine. The partial printing is intermittent--some print jobs go fine, other times I send the same page and get half the .eps images. I am running (version 3.2 v537). I had trouble with the copying and pasting disappearing act with the older version too. Will run some of tests you described.
t.pine29

Postby t.pine29 » April 20th, 2013, 2:00 pm

I need help saving my custom drawing shape on the lite program... after I am done drawing the ok button doesnt work so I can save my image
Nick

Postby Nick » April 21st, 2013, 3:13 am

Hi t.pine29

In Art Text Lite, the tool for drawing vector shapes works in the demo mode. This tool is fully functional only in the full version.

Nick
Lombie

Postby Lombie » April 24th, 2013, 9:48 am

Same issue here as the others. Images inserted into a Swift Publisher flier template are no longer there. Package content consists only of one small file called "doc.thread".

I did previously export the flier to PDF.

The Swift Pub file has remained open for the past 2 weeks or so, though I've rebooted my laptop during that time. It would have reopened at startup.

Ideas?
Nick

Postby Nick » April 25th, 2013, 3:05 am

Hi Lombie,

You can try to return to a previous version of your document using the Versions feature, or from a backup (Time Machine, for instance) if you are using it.

In the next update we are adding a mechanist to prevent this problem from.

Nick

Return to “Swift Publisher”