Crash during pdf-export on Mac OS X 10.8

miro

Postby miro » March 12th, 2013, 11:59 am

Hi Belightsoft,

I am experiencing severe crashing with Swift Publisher 3 (3.2 v537) when trying to export under Mac OS X 10.8.2 on my MBP 13" mid 2009

I have followed some of the hints on in this thread:
http://www.belightsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=11383

Here are a few statements to frame the problem:

- Very simple documents with no or few graphic items works OK.
- I can export properly a new document based on the first Swift Publisher template.
- The document can be printed as pdf from the print-dialogue.
- The document can be exported from another computer (iMac 2012) under Mac OS X 10.7 with SP 3.2
- The document can be exported from the same MBP when rebooted with Mac OS X 10.6.8 with SP 3.2
- I can track down which graphic element is causes the crash (in that case, an eps logo), remove it and export the rest to pdf.

My conclusion is that the crashing is highly connected to the combination OS X 10.8 and Swift Publisher 3.2.

I can provide a crash log and the file if needed.

Best regards,

/Eric
Nick

Postby Nick » March 13th, 2013, 4:26 am

Hi Eric,

Thanks for detailed report! Please send your document, crash and console logs to support@belightsoft.com providing the link to this topic.

What export settings did you have? It can help if you take a screen shot (press Cmd-Shift-4) of the options dialog while repeating the crash to save the logs.

To save the console log, open the Console application from the Applications/Utilities folder. Choose "All Messages" in the left panel. Then choose File > Save a Copy As in the menu of Console to save the log.

Nick
miro

Postby miro » March 13th, 2013, 7:18 am

Hi Nick,

I just sent a package with the requested files to the support email:

- crashing_ad.spub
- pdf export settings.png
- crash_report.txt
- console_log.log

/Eric
Nick

Postby Nick » March 13th, 2013, 8:22 am

Hi Eric,

Thanks for sending us your files. Try to choose any Image Quality other than Original in the export options. Or convert the *.EPS logo to another format, for example PDF, or PNG or TIFF with transparency.

Nick
miro

Postby miro » March 13th, 2013, 10:58 am

Hi Nick,

Thank you for your advices.

Selecting an image quality other than Original does manage to export without crash. However, all vector graphics are then converted to bitmaps and subject to jpg compression artifacts. This is not desirable.

The same is valid for using tiff/png files. They do not survive the subsequent printing compliancy processing very well.

I tried to use a pdf version of the logo, but the export also failed.

Since the export works properly in OS X 10.6 and 10.7, I believe they are some changes in 10.8 that need to be taken care of.

As a last note: I reproduced my document (this one was simple) with Swift Publisher 2 (2.3.9) with exactly the same imported graphic elements, and it exported without any problems (on OSX 10.8). But Swift Publisher 3 is so much better in many aspects, that I don't feel like going back to version 2 is a real option...

/Eric
Nick

Postby Nick » March 14th, 2013, 4:22 am

Hi Eric,

On Mac OS 10.8 some vector images with transparent parts are treated incorrectly due to the image format. If you have an original of your logo in some graphic program, you can try to save it as PDF version 1.3 or 1.4. Most recent versions of PDF have features that aren't supported very well in Mac OS.

Nick
miro

Postby miro » March 19th, 2013, 8:34 am

Hi Nick,

The pdf logo I mentioned above was a PDF version 1.3. It crashed Swift Publisher 3 anyway.
But do you mean that pdf support in OSX 10.8 has been deteriorated, compared to 10.6 and 10.7? That sounds pretty strange.
Also, how comes this support deterioration affects Swift Publisher 3 but not Swift Publisher 2?

/Eric
Nick

Postby Nick » March 20th, 2013, 6:30 am

Hi Eric,

Swift Publisher 2 creates raster graphics from vector images in more cases comparing with version 3. This is why some PDF-related problems may happen with SP3 and don't happen with SP2.

Printing and exporting to PDF rely on some functionality provided by the operating system. I don't know why it works differently.

Nick
miro

Postby miro » September 2nd, 2013, 4:10 pm

Hi Nick,

With the latest update to SP 3.3, I has hoping that, maybe - maybe, something on this exporting issue had been addressed. Sorrily, SP 3.3 just crashes as usual when exporting on OSX 10.8.

All the time, I had to transfer my documents to my home iMac running OSX 10.7 to be able to export to pdf. That has been somewhat cumbersome, especially on-the-road.

Today, I just tried something I have never used before: to force SP 3 to run in 32 bit mode (in the show info panel for the application in Finder). Suddently SP seems to export previously uncooperative documents without troubles.

First, I just wanted to share my experience. It may help anyone else facing the same issue. But I wanted to ask if there are some known drawbacks with running SP in 32 bit mode?

/Eric
Nick

Postby Nick » September 3rd, 2013, 4:02 am

Eric,

Could you please resend us your document? I'll remind the programmers about the problem and test exporting this document on Mac OS 10.9.

Nick

Return to “Swift Publisher”