Printing issues in SP3.0.1

axys

Postby axys » March 16th, 2012, 10:39 am

I've just laid out an A3 drawing comprising 2 scanned pdf images (technical drawings) and a png image on the background layer. On the foreground layer I've set out a lot of text boxes, mostly over the images, a couple not. I've printed this to my A3 copier and find that all of the text over images as well as the images themselves are very slightly blurred (pixellated). The text not overlaid onto anything is fine. This drawing was originally an SP2 file, but all of the images have been replaced. The file on screen appears to be ok - at 400% there is no visible issue. If I export it to a pdf and print that, the problem remains. If I move the images to the foreground it makes no difference.

I've now relaid the whole thing out again in SP2 and that has printed perfectly. I have the same drawing archived as reference and they are identical. The SP3 print is visibly worse - its not good enough to send out to a Client.

Other files laid out in SP3 seem to have the same problem.

In addition, when going to 'Print' there is a noticeable pause (several seconds) and the same again when I select the printer - both of my processors ramp up to 95-100%. This doesn't happen with the same document in SP2.

Using 10.6.8.
Last edited by axys on March 16th, 2012, 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
SP user for 11 years --- v2, 3, 4, 5.0.6 --- Mac OS 10.11.6 --- iMac Retina 5k 27" late 2015
Nick

Postby Nick » March 16th, 2012, 12:03 pm

Hi axys,

You haven't told anything about the quality of the exported PDF. If it is good, the problem arises at printing and it isn't related (at least directly) to SP.

Maybe SP2 and SP3 give different results because of print settings. When the print dialog is open (doesn't matter whether you print directly SP document, or an exported PDF using Preview.app), there are the quality settings and the Presets. Make sure that the quality is highest. Set Preset to "Standard".

If you export to a PNG or TIFF, will it look and be printed correctly?

Also, please see are there any messages in the console after printing from SP.

The delay may or may not be linked with the quality problem. I think we should work on it later.

Please send a sample document that prints not good to support@belightsoft.com

Nick
Nick

Postby Nick » March 19th, 2012, 10:43 am

Hi axys,

Thanks for your documents. I've printed them on two printers comparing SP 2 with SP 3 and haven't found any significant difference. I should to note that I printed with scaling to the A4 format and could miss some details.

Your files exported to PDF look normally. Text over the scanned image was in the vector format. Probably it becomes blurred while the printer driver prepares it for printing. Export your document to PDF and see if text blurred there or not.

A similar problem (text rasterized when it was placed over a raster image) happened on Mac OS 10.5 when the document was exported to PDF-X which was a standard option provided by the operating system.

I've also noticed that the interface in the Print dialog responds with delay. We'll work on this issue.

Nick
axys

Postby axys » March 19th, 2012, 5:58 pm

I well remember the blurred text over image problem in 10.5 - drove me and my friendly printer nuts! They were able to mostly fix it at pre-press stage.

An exported pdf file looks fine, but has the same printing issue. You probably wouldn't see it on a reduced A4. An exported tiff has a white background where the the images are pasted and dark grey where they are not (even though I have white paper background).

There are no quality settings for this printer, the preset used is 'Standard'.

The point is that it is fine in SP2 and it isn’t in SP3. How do I stop the overlaid text rasterizing? Could I convert the pdf images to another format first?
SP user for 11 years --- v2, 3, 4, 5.0.6 --- Mac OS 10.11.6 --- iMac Retina 5k 27" late 2015
Nick

Postby Nick » March 20th, 2012, 8:47 am

1. Yes, you can convert your PDF to TIFF or PNG format and use it in your document. It is interesting if the problem persists with another image format.

At the moment it isn't clear if the problem is caused by SP or by another software (printer driver, for instance). Since exported PDFs look correctly, I can imagine two possibilities. (1) the printer driver incorrectly treats a correct PDF, or (2) the PDF was saved to incorrect format so that a standard printing procedure gives a low quality result. I hope that answering the following questions we sort out the problem.

2. If you have another printer, try to print an exported PDF (use the original document with images in PDF format). Also you can send me an exported PDF to print.

3. Try to convert text to vector image (right-click to access this option). Will this text be printed blurred?

4. Your PDFs are cropped in the document. Maybe this causes the problem. Create a test document where text is placed over the same PDFs which aren't cropped. Print and see if text is blurred. To save the toner or ink, make the image as small as possible keeping text large enough to see its quality. It's not necessary to print full A3 page.

5. Check the version of the driver of your copier. Maybe there is an update compatible with your current version of Mac OS.

Nick
axys

Postby axys » November 3rd, 2012, 3:48 pm

Nick wrote:I've also noticed that the interface in the Print dialog responds with delay. We'll work on this issue.

Nick

This is still an issue - its no better now, several updates later (3.2). Any idea when it will be fixed? Using 10.6.8.
Last edited by axys on November 3rd, 2012, 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Postby Nick » November 5th, 2012, 7:33 am

Hi

This improvement isn't scheduled yet.

Nick
axys

Postby axys » May 13th, 2013, 4:12 am

Any idea when? Its very frustrating.
Nick

Postby Nick » May 13th, 2013, 11:13 am

We will try to fix this problem before the next update. But the programmers cannot guarantee any terms.

Nick
axys

Postby axys » March 5th, 2014, 7:22 pm

The interface in the Print dialog responding with delays is still an issue - it makes SP3 pretty much unusable for me - I have to go to print - delay - select my printer - delay - select number of copies - delay - select orientation or scale - delay - select print - delay. Each delay is 5 seconds or more with a spinning beach ball and processors ramping up. This has been going on for over 2 years now.
Last edited by axys on March 6th, 2014, 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Postby Nick » March 6th, 2014, 5:50 am

Hi,

Please send us your document and these details:
- Version of SP.
- Your system profile. Run the System Information utility located in the Applications/Utilities folder. Select File > Save…
- The name of the printer selected in the Print dialog.
- If there are non-default printing settings or a customized preset is selected, let me know about that.

We'll try to find a system configuration similar to yours and test the program.

Nick

Return to “Swift Publisher”