Software to design Paperback Covers?

Any other suggestions you may have
Beta_Zeroid

Postby Beta_Zeroid » November 5th, 2008, 1:06 am

So far, I've purchased only Business Card Composer, and am very pleased. This is one great product.

On the other hand, maybe I ran through the documentation a little too fast.

Is there a way of adjusting the dimensions of the business card so it can be used for designing playing cards, or covers for paperback books?

I am curious if BeLight Software offers a product for purposes along those lines. I was thinking of buying Disc Cover, but then I stopped, and wondered if it expected the user to have access to a printing house with a lathe that can cut perfect circles. After all, some CD players have fits when confronted with imperfectly cut circles, and the uneven weight causes an imperfect spinning of the CD. (In light of that, can the Disc Cover program be configured for importing art, and deploying it in rectangular designs instead of the circular designs that it probably defaults to?)
Nick

Postby Nick » November 5th, 2008, 4:07 am

Hi Beta_Zeroid,

Business Card Composer:
You can create a custom paper layout setting up your card dimensions. A custom paper layout can be based on Letter or A4 paper format. There can be one or a few cards per sheet.
To open the layout editor, choose File > Card Properties menu. In the Card Properties window, choose the Custom Layout tab and then click Create New.

Disc Cover:
I was thinking of buying Disc Cover, but then I stopped, and wondered if it expected the user to have access to a printing house with a lathe that can cut perfect circles.

The program cannot upload disc art directly to a print house. Users should export a design to a graphic file (PDF or TIFF - printing companies have specific directions on this).
After all, some CD players have fits when confronted with imperfectly cut circles, and the uneven weight causes an imperfect spinning of the CD.

You're absolutely right. For users who prints a singe or a few copies (up to dozens) copies of disc art, there is special disc label paper. Circles are pre-cut, one side is adhesive. You print as on regular paper, then detach a circle and stick to a disc using an applicator (to have the label centered perfectly).
If you have a printer that supports printing on discs directly, you can use this for disc labeling.

There is an article about disc labeling on our web site:
http://www.belightsoft.com/products/resources/labelingdiscs.php

In light of that, can the Disc Cover program be configured for importing art, and deploying it in rectangular designs instead of the circular designs that it probably defaults to?

Yes, Disc Cover can import images. The shape of the design can be selected (circle for discs or rectangle for covers). The size is customizable.
You can download Disc Cover and see it in work in the demo mode.

Nick
Beta_Zeroid

Postby Beta_Zeroid » November 6th, 2008, 4:55 pm

Nick wrote:Hi Beta_Zeroid,

Business Card Composer:
You can create a custom paper layout setting up your card dimensions. A custom paper layout can be based on Letter or A4 paper format. There can be one or a few cards per sheet.
To open the layout editor, choose File > Card Properties menu. In the Card Properties window, choose the Custom Layout tab and then click Create New.

Okay.

Nick wrote:Disc Cover:
Beta_Zeroid wrote:I was thinking of buying Disc Cover, but then I stopped, and wondered if it expected the user to have access to a printing house with a lathe that can cut perfect circles.

[The program cannot upload disc art directly to a print house. Users should export a design to a graphic file (PDF or TIFF - printing companies have specific directions on this).

Yes, that makes perfect sense now.

Nick wrote:
Beta_Zeroid wrote:After all, some CD players have fits when confronted with imperfectly cut circles, and the uneven weight causes an imperfect spinning of the CD.

You're absolutely right. For users who prints a singe or a few copies (up to dozens) copies of disc art, there is special disc label paper. Circles are pre-cut, one side is adhesive. You print as on regular paper, then detach a circle and stick to a disc using an applicator (to have the label centered perfectly).
If you have a printer that supports printing on discs directly, you can use this for disc labeling.

That's very good to know. It makes me want to get Disc Cover even more.

Nick wrote:There is an article about disc labeling on our web site:
http://www.belightsoft.com/products/resources/labelingdiscs.php

In light of that, can the Disc Cover program be configured for importing art, and deploying it in rectangular designs instead of the circular designs that it probably defaults to?

Yes, Disc Cover can import images. The shape of the design can be selected (circle for discs or rectangle for covers). The size is customizable.
You can download Disc Cover and see it in work in the demo mode.

Nick

Was the same programming team brought in for both Disc Cover and Business Card Composer? If a Smart Shape (containing, I would guess, points sufficient to establish some kind of a virtual Bezier line) is designed in Business Card Composer, is it preserved when it is imported to Disc Cover?
Last edited by Beta_Zeroid on November 7th, 2008, 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Postby Nick » November 7th, 2008, 6:22 am

The same programmers were involved in creation of BCC and DC.
Basic objects behave equally in both programs. You can copy them from one program to another.
I'm not sure I understand what Bezier line you mean. If you mean shapes from the built-in library, they are supported in both programs. Lines and rectangles created using the toolbar tools too.

Nick
Beta_Zeroid

Postby Beta_Zeroid » November 7th, 2008, 7:44 pm

Nick wrote:The same programmers were involved in creation of BCC and DC.
Basic objects behave equally in both programs. You can copy them from one program to another.
I'm not sure I understand what Bezier line you mean. If you mean shapes from the built-in library, they are supported in both programs. Lines and rectangles created using the toolbar tools too.

Nick

Thanks, you've been very helpful.

I think I'll be getting Disc Cover very shortly.

Return to “General”