Colormatch Problems with Xerox 6180N

Any other suggestions you may have
Loralee

Postby Loralee » July 25th, 2008, 10:21 am

I just purchased a Xerox 6180N laser printer and it is printing completely off from my previous inkjet (Canon Pixma iP6600D). I've printed with a HP laser printer in the past without problems. I have an image that is primarily light colors/nearly white/light blues...the image prints correctly with my old printer but with the xerox it is printing dark greys.

For some reason my install disk did not read on my Powerbook (OSX 10.4), so I had to download everything from the xerox site, and this is the only place I've found in-depth info on setting up the printer...I followed an older posting about ensuring the icc profile for the printer is installed - I did so by assigning it in ColorSync Utility. When I print, and open the Print Setup dialogue box, the Summary section states Color Conversion - In Printer. Quartz filter - None. The ColorSync section shows the same, and next to Color conversion: the option to select "Standard" is greyed/unselectable.

I tried printing from various sources..illustrator..photoshop..pdf..and trying different profiles. Not sure what else I need to do...
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » July 26th, 2008, 7:29 am

Hi Loralee,
To use the icc profile when printing, you have to set the Color Matching setting to ColorSync.
As the right profile (Phaser 6180) seems to have been correctly installed, you may see this from the Print panel (this screenshot comes from 10.5):

Profile set to Automatic is the way to use the icc profile you set in ColorSync Utillity (this is why you see its name under the Profile menu).
This is the first step to get the most accurate result.
You may try to print an image/photo from Preview.app using the default settings of the 6180 driver at first. Be sure that this image/photo has an embedded profile (sRGB, Adobe RGB (1998) to name a few). You may set/change this from the Tools menu of Preview.app (Tools>Match to Profile…).
Avoid to use pdf files to make these tests as there's no easy way to set/change embedded profile(s) in pdf files (at least using Preview.app).
Don't forget that you may save all these settings, using the Save/Save As… items from the Presets menu:

(I own a 6120DN not a 6180)
If you use several printers, adding the printer name to the preset name could be a good idea (something like Xerox 6180 ColorSync for example) as most of the settings are related to a specific printer (settings from Printer Features menu for example).
Hope this helps.

Remarks for Xerox 6180 users:
The icc profile is only available from the English (or English US) download area (yes, it's absolutely stupid). :^(
http://www.support.xerox.com/go/results.asp?Xlang=en_US&XCntry=USA&prodID=6180&ripId=&Xtype=download
JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 3.06GHz
http://belightcommunity.free.fr/BeLight Community website

Return to “General”