Other functions/applications for Publisher/Printfolio

Any other suggestions you may have
EdoJapan

Postby EdoJapan » March 4th, 2008, 12:40 pm

It seems to me that the major competitor (most similar products) are PrintShop and Print Explosion. A couple of things you may choose to add to your offerings are a calendar making function and more diverse options for greeting cards.

Just a thought.
Nick

Postby Nick » March 5th, 2008, 3:33 am

EdoJapan, thanks for ideas.

Nick
Mariah

Postby Mariah » December 7th, 2008, 9:32 pm

It would be nice to have more winter backgrounds...
Nick

Postby Nick » December 8th, 2008, 3:44 am

Maybe we will add more backgrounds in the future.
You can find a lot of images in the Internet including the winter theme.

Nick
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » December 14th, 2008, 10:09 am

Hi all,
EdoJapan wrote:It seems to me that the major competitor (most similar products) are PrintShop and Print Explosion. A couple of things you may choose to add to your offerings are a calendar making function and more diverse options for greeting cards.

Just a thought.

From my point of view, a better (= more complete) implementation of AppleScript could be an interesting way to add some "new features" to SP2 (one of my oldest topic as you can see: http://www.belightsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=22).
This can be a way to insert all kinds of "external datas" into SP2 documents.
I'm "working" to different solutions to create SP2 documents from different sources and it's really frustrating that there's no real way to access to SP2 document objects (text boxes […]) from AppleScript.
For example, imagine a way to insert iPhoto albums contents into SP2 templates to make calendars, photos albums, catalogues…
SP2 seems to be the only one BeLight application that doesn't have AppleScript support (well, not really the only one as IT hasn't too).
An interesting point about adding AppleScript support to SP2 is that it could "open the doors" to "third party" developers and so, create a kind of BeLight community (;^)) of users/developers.
There's no real (so) inexpensive page layout application (maybe excepting the "new" Pages'08 from Apple iWork) that makes possible an automatic insertion of external datas (text, images…) in a template.
One advantage of using AppleScript is that you (BeLight developers) haven't to add to SP2 say, a new Create Calendar feature, then a new Create Catalog feature, then a new Create JeNeSaisPasQuoi feature ;^) but "just" a full AppleScript support (Text Suite and SP2 Suite for ex.) then leave developers (from BeLight or third parties) creating different AppleScript applications to suit specific needs.
Of course, it's just mho! ;^)
Last edited by Jean-Jacques Boutaud on December 15th, 2008, 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 3.06GHz
http://belightcommunity.free.fr/BeLight Community website
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » December 20th, 2008, 5:56 am

Hi Nick,
Just in case BeLight developers have some free time (;^)), they may glance at the AppleScript Library of Pages (Pages 3 from iWork'08).
It seems a very powerful and complete AS library making possible (in a easy way) to populate Pages document with text boxes, tables, graphics…
I made some simple tests and this seems a really good example of what could be a so powerful feature to add to SP2 (one more time ;^)).
Nick

Postby Nick » December 20th, 2008, 2:23 pm

Hi Jean-Jacques,

I'll remind developers about the AppleScript. When we discussed this issue before, the developers were of the opinion that it is better to add new functionality in Swift Publisher directly. Doing this via AppleScript requires much more efforts.

Nick
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » December 22nd, 2008, 9:07 am

Hi Nick,
The world needs AppleScript support in SP2 (well say, at least, some of us)! ;^))

Joking apart, I can understand that adding a (better) AS implementation to SP2 is a big and complicated job.
Yet, you have to do this one time (then make some updates from time to time, of course).
On the other side, users/developers that want some specific applications (say an automatic way to create calendars) would have the freedom to develop such applications the way they need (the way they wish).

It takes me a few hours (I'm really not an AS expert!) to make a Pages'08 document from scratch filled with a table containing days name as header and cells populated with days number of a full month, adding a header and footer document too!
It's not perfect, I'm not found a correct way to calculate days number from a month/year but the principle works (limitations come from a lack of documentation and, mainly, from the fact that it"s nearly the first time I try to use AS with Pages'08.

Why do we need using AS with SP?

A real world example:
A customer of mine uses content/data of its Intranet (a development I've made using MySQL/PHP/Apache) to publish an yearly directory (about accessibility of arts and culture). For now, data are "simply" pasted into Word (I've made some interesting tries using OpenOffice, yet) then text (paragraph) styles are applied by hand browsing into the document. A time consuming and "boring" job.
Of course, I should prefer to use SP2 to do this job. Yet, I may not ask you to add a way to insert and format text files into SP2 (it would take too long to release and this would not necessary useful for other SP2 users), I should prefer using AS the way I want (according to my customers needs).

Another example (the last one ;^)):
There's way to get numerous data from iPhoto (photo itself and size, keywords and comments too, just to name a few). You may crop, resize, flip, embed a ICC profile to image […] from Image Events (a "hidden" application with really powerful AS support). So, using these applications and SP2.5 (you know, the one with AS support ;^))))), we could develop our own kind of cataloging applications. If another one uses Aperture, well, "all" he/she has to do is to change the way he/she get the data using AS (so, from Aperture vs iPhoto).

If you do that (adding a "full" AS support to Swift Publisher), SP2 would be the first and only one application (costing less than $50) with a such (so powerful) feature!
Yes, I know, it's just mho ;^)))))
colleensparis

Postby colleensparis » October 28th, 2009, 5:17 am

I would like a template for a card 13 cm x 26 cm; when folded forms 13cm x 13cm or a suggestion how to do this in Pages or Keynote. Thank you
Nick

Postby Nick » October 28th, 2009, 7:55 am

Hi colleensparis,

In Pages (as well as in Swift Publisher and other page layout software) you can add a custom page format:
1. Select File > Page Setup (Cmd-Shift-P) in the main menu.
2. Click the paper Size drop-down menu and choose "Manage Custom Formats".
3. Input the page and margins size. Change the paper template to something like "26*13 cm".
4. Click OK.

Then in the Paper Size dialog, select the new format.

Nick

Return to “General”