clean up the spam!

Any other suggestions you may have
SwiftNEasy

Postby SwiftNEasy » December 20th, 2007, 12:44 pm

These forums are getting plastered with both p*rn and viral spam posts during evenings and weekends by "first-time" posters.

Why don't you limit the use of links and images in posts to those who have previously posted non-offending messages several times over an extended period of time?

The level of offensive spam in this forum is currently enough that I would not recommend Swift Publisher to women or families with children.
Last edited by SwiftNEasy on December 20th, 2007, 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Postby Nick » December 21st, 2007, 3:44 am

Hi SwiftNEasy,

When spam appears here our admins and moderators remove these posts and accounts of users who post spam. Spammers are unable to use their accounts repeatedly. Spam with the same content is posted every time under newly created accounts.

Nick
SwiftNEasy

Postby SwiftNEasy » December 21st, 2007, 9:34 am

Nick wrote:Hi SwiftNEasy,

Spammers are unable to use their accounts repeatedly. Spam with the same content is posted every time under newly created accounts.

Nick

Understood. That is why I'm suggesting that you disable links and images in the post of first-time posters.

And if you can't be that selective, I think it would be better to have no links or images in any posts. Frankly, most questions can be asked and answered without pictures or live links.
Last edited by SwiftNEasy on December 21st, 2007, 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Postby Nick » December 21st, 2007, 10:14 am

Pictures are really helpful. I don't think we will disable the possibility of using them. It is more probable, that we will add some more spam filters or other protective software.

Nick
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » December 24th, 2007, 5:05 am

Hi,
I agree with you Nick, adding links and images to our posts is a great and really useful feature. So, please, leave these features available.
About spam:
- I'm not sure that spams include image(s) in their contents.
I don't read them, yet, as they're so easy to distinguish from "real" posts.

Yet, these (BeLight) forums are, certainly, the most "spammed" forums I use!
So, maybe, sending a mail to each new user then waiting for a confirmation answer to validate new inscription would be an easy way to avoid spams as emails used by spammers aren't "real" emails.

Beside that… Happy Holidays to all :^)
Last edited by Jean-Jacques Boutaud on December 24th, 2007, 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 3.06GHz
http://belightcommunity.free.fr/BeLight Community website
Nick

Postby Nick » December 24th, 2007, 7:57 am

Spammers do use real e-mails. When a new user is registered, his/her password is delivered by e-mail.

Nick
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » December 24th, 2007, 9:04 am

Oups,
You're right Nick, so you have to find another way :^(
Have a good day.
JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 3.06GHz
http://belightcommunity.free.fr/BeLight Community website
SwiftNEasy

Postby SwiftNEasy » December 24th, 2007, 9:57 am

Spammers do indeed use images, and there is no way for new forum visitors to turn them off, unless they have registered and logged in.

Seeing p*rn images on one's first visit to these forums leaves a very poor impression about the professionalism of BeLight Software, IMHO.

Perhaps the forum needs some additional volunteer moderators who live in other time zones.

And I still will argue that first-time posters should not be allowed to submit images or clickable urls.

Like Jean-Jacques, I find no other forum I use has this much offensive spam.

And the spam is not just p*rn -- there are viral links as well.
Last edited by SwiftNEasy on December 24th, 2007, 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General”