Not shipping from Europe/EU has cost me over $30US!!

Any other suggestions you may have
philipcaplan

Postby philipcaplan » October 2nd, 2007, 2:59 am

Dear BeLight Software

I'm a very happy Swift Publisher user, and having downloaded ArtText I found that most of its features seemed to work in SP *without* the demo watermark being present.

However, I didn't know what features I was missing, and anyway I want to support your company because your products are good and you deserve to be supported.

So I purchased ArtText from your website. I could have opted for the download version, but the retail version was only a little more (though I don't know if the 50 free fonts would be any use to me) but I very much like to have a box I can put on the shelf, so I opted for that.

I'm in the EU (UK) so I gave my VAT number and was charged VAT on the purchase (no problem, as a registered trader I get the VAT rebated on my next quarterly return). I noticed that shipping was $25US for outside USA, 8$ inside. Oh well, just a few dollars more!

But as the 2 weeks for delivery expired, it came yesterday. Or almost.

The Royal Mail had it for me, but because it came from the USA with a declared value on the Customs sticker saying "$50" they require me to pay about $10 UK VAT before they'll deliver it! I've already paid VAT!! Never mind, I'll get it back as described above.

BUT BUT BUT there's a handling fee of $16 (£8) for the collection of that additional VAT, which is only being charged because they think it's a US product paid for in the US!!!!

BELIGHT -- I'm not going to buy products from you again if you use SWREG to ship my goods from the USA and I'm going to have these extra expenses and delays.

Please investigate whether you can ship to European countries from inside Europe, or even better inside the EU to EU. Please let me know (and make a big splash of it on your website).

A less happier customer than I was!!! PHILIP CAPLAN
Andrew

Postby Andrew » October 2nd, 2007, 9:24 am

Dear Philip,

Thank you for purchasing our software and thus supporting our company. I'm aware of this situation, we just had a customer from Brede, UK with a similar problem. He managed to claim reimbursement from HM Revenue and Customs for these charges.

I suggest you print a copy of the receipt as an evidence that the VAT was already charged by the online store at the time of purchase. Link to PDF copy of the receipt can be found in your purchase confirmation e-mail.

Attached you will find a copy of the letter our customer received from Officer of HM Revenue and Customs. I covered the customer's information that is confidential to him.

I'm also sorry that our international shipping cost is so high, but that is actually what we pay to deliver boxes worldwide. The only solution for UK or European customers to save money on shipping would be to buy our software from Apple retail stores or online store, since almost all our products are carried by Apple.

Again, I apologize for all these inconveniences and expenses caused to you. I hope you will be able to get that extra charges returned.

Regards,
Andrew

Andrew Cherfas
Sales & Marketing
BeLight Software
gilescooperuk

Postby gilescooperuk » October 7th, 2007, 4:10 pm

Just seen this posting - and although this is no good to you now Amazon.co.uk stock Swift Publisher for £30 delivered free. I bought it from them as the US shipping costs put me off. The Apple store in the UK doesn't appear to stock belight products although the US store does.
Andrew

Postby Andrew » October 8th, 2007, 3:42 am

Hello Giles,

Thank you for purchasing Swift Publisher. It is true that Apple Store does not carry Swift Publisher and Printfolio. Although, all other retail products are available from physical and online Apple Stores:
http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/wa/RSLID?find=belight

As you correctly pointed out, Amazon also sells our software, which definitely can be an alternative.

Regards,
Andrew
Andrew Cherfas
Sales & Marketing
BeLight Software

Return to “General”