Live Interior 3D Pro - Library file location - external driv

Any other suggestions you may have
mafotografix

Postby mafotografix » September 15th, 2011, 5:30 pm

I apologize if this has been answered before but I could not find it.

I just purchased this program. I would like to build a library of materials, objects, etc. And I would like to store them in an external drive.

Could someone please share with me how I may be able to do this? And how I could 'point' to these external folder/files and have them show up in the Live Interior 3D Pro library.

I'm using a 128gb macbook air and there's not a lot of onboard memory. I manage most of my files that way ie external drives.

Thanks in advance.

Mike
Last edited by mafotografix on September 15th, 2011, 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Postby Nick » September 16th, 2011, 3:06 am

Hi Mike,

The custom materials are stored in this folder:
~/Library/Application Support/BeLight Software/

There is no way to set up a custom path to user's library.

Nick
mafotografix

Postby mafotografix » September 16th, 2011, 5:57 pm

Hi Nick,

Thanks for replying.

You see, that's where I thought it should be too but it is not. (I wish I could post the screen capture image right here).

About not allowing custom paths, that's a real limitation and I'm rather disappointed. That means I can't share libraries with my other computers, nor can I package them onto a dvd.

Mike
Nick

Postby Nick » September 17th, 2011, 1:53 am

Mike,

If you are using Mac OS 10.7 Lion, the Library folder is hidden there. In such case, in the Finder select Go > Go to Folder (Cmd-Shift-G) and copy the path above to the edit box. Then hit Go.

To display an image here, you need to upload it to some file sharing online service and post the link to this image. For an example click on "[img] tag: on" below the forum's edit box.

You can share your libraries by copying them to another computer. We'll consider adding the possibility to share the user's libraries.

Nick
mafotografix

Postby mafotografix » September 17th, 2011, 2:40 am

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your patience. Yes, I'm using Lion.

I did a file search and tried copying the path ' ~/Library/Application Support/BeLight Software/' but I get a 'folder can't be found' response. I'd like to try anything to find it. Hopefully you'll still help out.

I hope you will also seriously consider adding a share or custom pointer as an update. I plan to use my macbook air for travel and network with my desktop mac when I'm not traveling. So having a common library location would be more productive and it would help streamline the design development process.

I understand you can copy and transfer the library folders (if I can find it) but it would mean multiple copies on all machines. So I really hope you'll consider the share thing seriously for people like me.

Aloha,

Mike
Last edited by mafotografix on September 17th, 2011, 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Postby Nick » September 17th, 2011, 11:00 am

Hi Mike,

If you ever opened Live Interior, its folder must be present in Application Support.

Nick
mafotografix

Postby mafotografix » September 17th, 2011, 7:30 pm

Hi Nick,

I'm curious, are you on a Mac machine? On the Macs, Live Interior 3D shows up only as app in the Mac general applications folder in Finder. There is no Live Interior 3D folder where I may be able to find the Application Support folder.

Unlike say Adobe where there's a folder for me to install plug-ins, presets, custom brushes, etc.

Mike

p/s: I've tried looking for the Live Interior folder in several other places too namely, Mac HD, main Library, Users (shared), & Systems. There is no Live Interior 3D folder.
Last edited by mafotografix on September 17th, 2011, 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Postby Nick » September 19th, 2011, 3:22 am

Hi Mike,

I'm on Mac. On 10.6 and 10.7, the program recreates its folder in "Application Support" if it doesn't exist. This folder is located in the user's home Library:
~/Library/Application Support/BeLight Software/Live Interior 3D

Nick
mafotografix

Postby mafotografix » September 19th, 2011, 3:46 am

Hi Nick,

I just emailed you a print screen of the folder structure that you mentioned above. As you can see, it isn't there. Strange! Appreciate if you could have a look at it.

Mike
Nick

Postby Nick » September 19th, 2011, 4:05 am

Mike,

Thanks for the screen shot!

In it the system Library folder is open. You need to go into the user's one (they are not the same). In your picture, you should choose "Users" in the left column. Then find your Home folder (it has the house icon). Then follow the path I gave you. You can notice that it begins with the "~" what means the user's Home.

But it it easier to copy this path
~/Library/Application Support/BeLight Software/Live Interior 3D
open the Finder, press Cmd-Shift-G, and paste the path into the edit box. Finally click Go.

Nick
mafotografix

Postby mafotografix » September 19th, 2011, 4:08 am

Hi Nick,

I actually did that earlier on but it isn't there either. I'll send you another screen shot.

Mike
Nick

Postby Nick » September 19th, 2011, 5:43 am

Mike,

The screen shot displaying the content of your Home doesn't show the Library folder because the operating system hides it. To make it visible, you need to type
~/Library/
in the Go to Folder dialog and click Go.

Once the Library is visible, type "live interior" into the Finder's search box, and in the bar with
"Search: This Mac "Library"
click on the "Library button".

Another way is to open the Terminal application located in the Applications/Utilities folder, paste this line

Code: Select all

ls -la ~/Library/Application Support/

into the Terminal and press Return. The Terminal output will look like:

Code: Select all

nicks-MacBook-Pro:~ nick$ ls -la ~/Library/Application Support/
total 16
drwx------+ 19 nick  staff   646 Sep  5 13:20 .
drwx------@ 37 nick  staff  1258 Aug 25 16:53 ..
-rw-r--r--@  1 nick  staff  6148 Sep  5 13:20 .DS_Store
drwx------   7 nick  staff   238 Sep 19 13:27 AddressBook
drwxr-xr-x   5 nick  staff   170 Aug 12 15:09 Art Text 2
drwxr-xr-x   5 nick  staff   170 Sep 17 19:07 BeLight Software

Can you see "BeLight Software" or "Live Interior 3D" in the output?

Nick
mafotografix

Postby mafotografix » September 19th, 2011, 2:28 pm

Hi Nick,

Great, I see it now. Thanks. So I did a test and added a new category under furnishings called 'Composites'. It shows up when I search for it. However, all the other default/standard furnishing elements are hidden (guessing this is for safe keeping). I created another category and found out that I could move (file manage) elements between the custom categories using dreamweaver. I guess they stack up when I add more elements.

Question: So if a new user signs on, I'd have to copy over this custom category to the new user, correct? Is there anyway of putting the library in the 'shared' folder so that as the library grows any user on the same computer can have access to them?

Mike
Nick

Postby Nick » September 20th, 2011, 9:07 am

Hi Mike,

Along the path I gave you, only the user's content is stored.

You can place the user's content to a shared folder and place its alias into the standard folder. This way you can access the same library from several accounts.

To do this:
1. Download this script:
http://www.belightsoft.com/forum/pictures/li/10365/create_alias.app.zip
2. Copy the "Live Interior 3D" folder from "Application Support" to a shared place.
3. Run the script and point to the shared "Live Interior 3D" folder.

The script renames the "Live Interior 3D" folder in the current user's account and places an alias to the shared one. To access the library from another account, run this script in this account.

Nick
mafotografix

Postby mafotografix » September 20th, 2011, 5:33 pm

Hi Nick,

Hmm.... so in theory, I can store the library off site (of course I must remember to connect it each time I initiate the Live Interior 3D program). Is it possible run the script several times in order to change the directory? This is what I'm thinking .... the MBA has a SD slot and I could use a 32 or 64gb, even a 128gb SDXC card, when it becomes cheaper. I was planning on using it that way so that I could indefinitely increase the storage capacity of my MBA. That'll really be portability for me :)

I have not run the script yet. I want to be sure I can undo or re-direct it before I try the SDXC route.

Thanks so much again for understanding the challenges I have and working with me.

Mike

Return to “General”