IT 2.3…

Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » September 6th, 2006, 12:30 pm

Nice update, really, with one of my favourite CI filters: Shaded Material
Using this filter with text, you can make some effects like this one (among others):

A question (for BeLight Team):
Do you use the "Height Field From Mask" CI filter before the "Shaded Material" one (so the Radius slider)?
If true, it would be nice to add an "Invert Mask" checkbox and a "Blur Mask" slider (among others too ;^).
Of course, it's possible to blur and invert the current image with the adequate filters (Gaussian Blur and Color Invert), but it's not so easy (the effects in IT are destructive)) and more important, the result is not necessary the same.
A way to flip horizontally/vertically the Shading Image would be nice, too, to change the light source direction.
What do you think about that?

BTW, the new shortkeys and other improvements are great too :^)
Last edited by Jean-Jacques Boutaud on September 6th, 2006, 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 3.06GHz
http://belightcommunity.free.fr/BeLight Community website
vax

Postby vax » September 7th, 2006, 4:45 am

The answer is yes, we use Height Field From Mask in Shaded Materials filter. In the next version we are planning to add 2 new parameters for this filter (Light Direction Angle and one of the following - Invert Mask or Blur). I understood that some images require preliminary Color Invert, but Invert is not commonly used. Also, interesting results can be achieved by applying Color Posterize with slight Levels.
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » September 7th, 2006, 5:27 am

Thanks
vax wrote:… In the next version we are planning to add 2 new parameters for this filter (Light Direction Angle and one of the following - Invert Mask or Blur). I understood that some images require preliminary Color Invert, but Invert is not commonly used. …

In my mind, Invert means Invert Mask (grayscales). But as there's no way, now, to invert the Mask used as Input to Heigh Field From Mask, I used Color Invert (to the image) to make some "tries".
(imho) It's best to use Invert Mask and easy as there's already a Invert Color CI Filter to do this.
JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 3.06GHz
http://belightcommunity.free.fr/BeLight Community website

Return to “Image Tricks”