Considering purchase of B.C. Composer, I have questions.

srspicer

Postby srspicer » October 17th, 2009, 1:11 pm

Hello,

I down loaded the trial version from the Mac site, yesterday. I really like the program! I have a couple of questions I would like someone to address, if that is possible. I would like to order the software as soon as I have my questions/concerns answered.

1- I am having problems saving the designs as particular files, GIF PDF, etc. They also will not email as a result. Will this problem go away when I purchase the full version?
2- When I save my designs, can I lock them so I can send them to a client so they can't change the design by accident?
3- When my client receives the file, will they be able to work with them in Microsoft. I am using a MAC. Will they be able to add text over the existing design if required in word or Vista, etc.?
3-Is there a function to be able to bend text to conform to an arc or circle or any odd shape?
4- Can I assume that when I purchase the full version, it is a full license for my MAC, not just a short term license?
5- Will the trial version have to be removed before I install the full version?
6- Will I be able to import the designs I have already created and saved to the full version?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Regards,

Scott Spicer
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » October 18th, 2009, 4:45 am

srspicer wrote:Hello,

I down loaded the trial version from the Mac site, yesterday. I really like the program! I have a couple of questions I would like someone to address, if that is possible. I would like to order the software as soon as I have my questions/concerns answered.

1- I am having problems saving the designs as particular files, GIF PDF, etc. They also will not email as a result. Will this problem go away when I purchase the full version?

Hi Srspicer, can you give more details about your problems?
Also, did you try to mail some Bcc documents or the result of exporting them (to pdf/gif…)?
You can try to zip them before emailing them.

2- When I save my designs, can I lock them so I can send them to a client so they can't change the design by accident?

Saving your work from BCC creates documents that will open in BCC only not in other applications like Word or Photoshop (just to name a few) so, you have to export your BCC documents if you need to send them to other people that doesn't have BCC (see next point, too).

3- When my client receives the file, will they be able to work with them in Microsoft. I am using a MAC. Will they be able to add text over the existing design if required in word or Vista, etc.?

BCC is a Mac OS X only application.
If you wish to make your BCC documents editable (or just viewable) by other people that don't have or can't use BCC, you have to export them to tiff/pdf (or png…). This way, it's possible to open (or import) your work in other applications like text editors, image editors…
Note that by "editable" I mean that one can add text or logo over your work (mainly to fill blank space you leave in your design). It doesn't mean that one can edit text or change colors easily.
In a word, this is possible but not so easy/practical that doing the same edits in BCC itself.
You can try this yourself by exporting a BCC document to pdf/tiff/jpeg… then importing them in Pages/Word/OpenOffice or an image editor (this doesn't work in TextEdit).

3-Is there a function to be able to bend text to conform to an arc or circle or any odd shape?

Text effects/transformations can be made using Art Text from BCC (this way, AT works as a (free) plugin).
One more time, you can try this yourself, just download Art Text, install it then call it using, from BCC, Insert>Art Text…

4- Can I assume that when I purchase the full version, it is a full license for my MAC, not just a short term license?

In a general way, updates to "minor" versions (i.e. from v4.0 to v4.1 then v4.x) are free.
Major updates (from v4.x to v5) aren't. Updating from BCC v4.xx to the new v.5 version is a perfect example of this.

5- Will the trial version have to be removed before I install the full version?

No, inserting your license code (Business Card Composer>License…) makes your BCC trial version a full working one.

6- Will I be able to import the designs I have already created and saved to the full version?

Absolutely! (see point #5)
Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Regards,

Scott Spicer

A last word, this is just "mho" (as a BeLight apps user not an "official" BeLight team one).
JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 3.06GHz
http://belightcommunity.free.fr/BeLight Community website
srspicer

Postby srspicer » October 18th, 2009, 11:36 am

Ok:

They will not save as a pdf!!!! I have tried compressing them and then emailing, does not work! I have tried to save one as a jpg and then mailing, does not work! There is no notation next to the file that says it is a 'jpg' or a 'pdf' after I tell it to save as that type of file. When I try to copy the image and paste it into a word document on my MAC, all I get is the the text describing the image, no image.
I don't know what to do. I already have a potential client that loves the designs I have created. They are completely useless!
When I tell it to open in MS word as an option, , it will not open! They will not open on my PC.

If I can't get the file to transfer to my client PC/windows system, I will loose the work. This is most frustrating, as you can tell. There is nothing more maddening to me when a program will not function as I am hoping it will. I was hoping to buy the full version, but if I can not get it to save and email as a specific file, I will have to drop the whole idea!

I am working on a brand new iMAC, version 10.5.8. Any further help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for being patient with me!

Regards,
Scott
artmonster

Postby artmonster » October 18th, 2009, 12:15 pm

Perhaps this is a limitation of the trial version? BCC 5 exports to PDF, JPG etc. just fine. If you have your system preferences set to not show file extensions, right click on the file to see what program opens it by default, or do "get info" to see the type.
srspicer

Postby srspicer » October 18th, 2009, 12:40 pm

First, Thank you JJB for your info and suggestions. I greatly appreciate it!

I have been able, just now, to save the design as a jpeg and a pdf. I have emailed them to the client to see if the jpeg and pdf file will work with her PC programs she uses for printing. If they work for her, I will be thrilled. The next step will be to see if the printing house can work with the same pdf file on their systems.

artmonster; that is what I ended up figuring out, 'get info' enabled me to check for the proper file type after I had saved the design. I had tried to set 'word' as the default open program, but that did not work, so I changed it back. I am hoping all will work now, as I have hoped. It is a an easy program to use, I hope it works for my client! Thank you for your input. I will post here how things turn out.

Thanks all again.

Regards,

Scott
srspicer

Postby srspicer » October 19th, 2009, 11:53 pm

Just a quick follow up.

As stated above, I have been able to save the designs as a pdf. My client received the files today and was able to add text, but not change the background image, which is just fine.
Thank you both for your help. I have a new question posted in the general topic area about Portfolio, which I am now considering buying instead of BCC. Coments welcome over there!

Regards,

Scott

Return to “Business Card Composer”