Glyphs for military symbols (as in wargaming)

Beta_Zeroid

Postby Beta_Zeroid » November 8th, 2008, 10:35 pm

I am trying to find the right glyph or unicode for military units meant to represent army, airforce, navy or artillery units - these kinds of things really aren't as random as you might think because the symbols have become standardized over the last few decades. For instance, a naval unit could be represented by a little anchor inside a square box. Similarly, an army (or infantry) unit tends to be represented by a little 'X' inside a square box. Yes, the 'X' connects with the box it is enclosed in. As for artillery, I think it is fairly traditional to use a square with a dot in the very middle - I can simulate that fairly well, but don't know which unicode or glyph corresponds to it.

It would be nice if these symbols were already included in the table of glyphs and unicodes that I just brought up (I think I was clicking away on stuff under the 'View' option in the top toolbar of the screen).

In general, when you are in Business Card Composer, you'll have to click the T option for entering Text. But if you keep clicking away on stuff, you will eventually find a table of special characters kept in a table of glyphs and unicodes. They actually vary depending on which font is in context. So, if you choose a different font, you will still have to scroll up and down through the table, to find the "special character" you were looking for. Where should I look next?

I'd like to get my hands on a glyph representing an "anchor" in its simplest and most abstract form. But I haven't been able to find it.
Nick

Postby Nick » November 9th, 2008, 4:13 am

Apart from numerous cliparts, there are a lot of symbols can be found on the characters pane: choose Edit > Special Characters.
You can add more by installing new font.

Nick
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » November 9th, 2008, 7:41 am

Hi,
There's an anchor in the Apple Symbol font (ANCHOR, Unicode 2693, UTF8: E29A93).
You may use FontBook (from Applications folder) to browse into your fonts (use Preview>Repertoire to display all glyphs from the selected font).

There's also another anchor in the BeLight ClipArt collection:
Symbols -> Anchor (this one is transparent in a black square with rounded corners).

Making your own isn't necessary complicated and may be an easy way to get different "signs/icons" with same style; this is not always possible when picking different "cliparts" from different places (jmho).
JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 3.06GHz
http://belightcommunity.free.fr/BeLight Community website
Beta_Zeroid

Postby Beta_Zeroid » November 9th, 2008, 4:29 pm

Thanks,

You've been very helpful.

Return to “Business Card Composer”