Background printing

Lon

Postby Lon » July 11th, 2008, 7:17 pm

Hi,

My background doesn't print to a JPEG nor to a PDF. The background is a solid color.

Additionally, I can't even export to TIFF--program says it's not possible.

Any help is appreciated.

Lon
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » July 12th, 2008, 4:48 am

Hi Lon,
I've made some tries using solid color background then exporting to pdf, tiff and jpeg w/o any problem.
How did you make this background? Using a smart shape or a basic shape or something else?
May you export an image to tiff using Preview.app?
What system do you use (10.4.x/10.5.x)?
JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 3.06GHz
http://belightcommunity.free.fr/BeLight Community website
Lon

Postby Lon » July 12th, 2008, 11:40 am

Thanks for responding Jean-Jacques. I've determined that I probably had a corrupt file, as I was able to use a similar card without a problem. As the problem card was created in version 3 some years ago, I can't recall how I created the background image other than from the clip art palette.

I'm now using OS X 10.5.4.

I still can't export as a TIFF using a new card as a test. I don't see how I can export from Preview as there isn't an export menu item.

Best regards,
Lon
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » July 12th, 2008, 12:11 pm

Hi Lon,
From Preview.app use File>Save As… as a way to export image to another format.

As BCC uses Quicktime (as numerous other applications do) to import/export images files, trying to export (oups, to save as…;^)) to tiff from Preview should be a way to verify if the problem may come from Quicktime/Mac OS or from BCC.
So, open an (jpeg) image in Preview then try to save it as a tiff image.

About the background from your "faulty" card:
To know if it's a basic shape vs smart shape, just select it (the background) then from the Image inspector see if you may check/select the Mask Image checkbox. If you may check it, it's a basic shape, if not it's a smart shape.
Try to delete it then make a new one.

What's the exact error message from BCC when trying to export to tiff?

Hope his helps.
Lon

Postby Lon » July 13th, 2008, 10:05 am

Hi Jean-Jacques,

Before I can use Preview.app to export, I need to have already exported the card. Since the background has disappeared at this point, there is no point in doing any kind of conversion.

The background (nor foreground) is not selectable for this solid "background", so I can't tell if it is a smart shape or basic shape.

The exact message on a TIFF export is: "The document 'xxxx' could not be exported as xxxx.tiff".

I appreciate your time invested on this; however, since I've re-created the card it's probably not worth your time to pursue the problem. However, if you want the file to figure it out, I would be happy to send it to you. Let me know.

Best regards,
Lon
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » July 13th, 2008, 10:58 am

Hi Lon,
Maybe you've used the Paper Color from the Card Properties (File>Card Properties).
The purpose of this is to simulate the color of paper you use to print your card. It's not a way to attribute color to your background, so if you print to white paper (or any other color), the background color of your card will be white (or in a general way, it will be the same color as the color of paper you use to print).

About testing tiff export from Preview.app:
Launch Preview.app, open an image (say a jpeg image) then, using File>Save As… (from Preview.app) save this image to tiff and see what happens.
If there's a problem from saving to tiff, the problem may come from QT or Mac OS X not from BCC.
Hope this helps.
Lon

Postby Lon » July 13th, 2008, 9:52 pm

Jean-Jacques,

You're right! The paper color is the problem. It's been four years since I set up this card and haven't used BBC since then. Strange, but I had this card printed and it wasn't printed on color paper. I still have the original JPEG. Anyway, I've learned a few things with your help.

In regards to the TIFF. Preview will save as a TIFF, so the problem must be with BBC? I've tried to export all kinds of backgrounds and shapes, but the problem persists.

Lon
Nick

Postby Nick » July 14th, 2008, 4:08 am

Hi Lon,

Please send your card document to the developers support@belightsoft.com
If the problem repeat, there will be a possibility to fix it.

What export settings do you have for TIFF? There is an Options button in the export dialog.

Nick

Return to “Business Card Composer”