add gradient color to the background

REM

Postby REM » June 8th, 2008, 10:04 am

I have done it before but have forgotten how.

I want to add a gradient to the background. I already have the color, hope it comes out OK.

I have the inspector open to images, but the mask images check box is grayed out.
If I draw a box over the card, I can fill it with the color but can't apply the gradient mask.
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » June 8th, 2008, 11:02 am

Hi REM,
You may use a shape (Basic Shape not Smart Shape) then add mask it or edit it in Image Tricks plug-in using the Gaussian Blur filter.
For a better control of colors, place a shape below the previous one and adjust its own color too:

(a red shape below a orange one and a Gradient top mask applied the orange shape).
Hope this helps.
JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 3.06GHz
http://belightcommunity.free.fr/BeLight Community website
REM

Postby REM » June 8th, 2008, 1:35 pm

That has worked. The next problem, sorry to ask for so much help I try things and they don't seem to work. I guess I just don't really know the program.

I have been trying to modify the color of the gradient, single color. I am using the CMYK sliders because I am printing to a Postscript printer.

When I modify the magenta slider from 63% to 50%, the slider changes but the color of the Gradient stays the same. I have clicked on the color made the change clicked OK it appears to take but when I go to print the slider goes back to the original setting. I have tried the same with the opacity although I have put the color on the background.

What I am trying to do is lighten the start color as it is too dark.
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » June 8th, 2008, 4:40 pm

Hi REM,
To change the color of an object (a shape for ex.) you have to select it then to select the Fill color well (the small rectangle in the Fill & Shadow Inspector tab).
If you forget to select one of them (the shape or the color well) moving the slider(s) changes nothing.
As you use a Basic shape (the only way to use masks/IT plug-in) and as this kind of shape has a default fill color (blue) you may not use opacity to lighten the color you add over the default one (using Fill from the the inspector) because more and more blue will be visible. If you need to lighten (or darken) it, try to use the HSB sliders as an easy way to get different shades (Brightness) or tints (Saturation) of the same Hue (just mho, yet).
Hope this helps.
REM

Postby REM » June 8th, 2008, 7:16 pm

I must thank all who have helped me get very close to where I need to be especially Jean-Jacques Boutaud.
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » June 9th, 2008, 7:44 am

Hi REM,
Glad to have been useful :^)

A word about working in CMYK with BCC (and with other BeLight applications):
If you edit images using IT plug-in (Inspector>Image>Edit…) you get a RGB image with the default colorsync profile even if this image was a cmyk one!
So, if you need some cmyk images in your BCC documents, be sure to edit them before importing them.
The only case where editing images in IT plug-in doesn't change color mode/color profile is when using the Crop tool.
(the default colorsync profile is the selected one in System preferences>Monitor>Color).

Return to “Business Card Composer”